john deere turbo

stovepipe

for you JD experts I have this turbo been laying around for a long time came off a 8630, something like 550cu. and around 250hp "we turned it up from factory hp" it was a 1978 "I think" if some one could tell me anything about it thanks.
these are the # I got off the housing,
AIR Research C.M.I. A/R .45
the tag between housing,
AR69049
DH0252
not sure if it is worth any thing or not but its got a big exhust housing and wheel thought about putting it on my 12v but I am not sure if it would be a waste of time.
Thanks JR

for you JD experts I have this turbo been laying around for a long time came off a 8630, something like 550cu. and around 250hp "we turned it up from factory hp" it was a 1978 "I think" if some one could tell me anything about it thanks.
these are the # I got off the housing,
AIR Research C.M.I. A/R .45
the tag between housing,
AR69049
DH0252
not sure if it is worth any thing or not but its got a big exhust housing and wheel thought about putting it on my 12v but I am not sure if it would be a waste of time.
Thanks JR

If it is what I think it is you are either talking about a 531 or a 619... Either way, the turbo on those is a waste of time.

JD's 8630 is a pile..... my uncle had two or three and thats why he aint farming anymore.

All 8630's got recalled eventually and had their engine's replaced with 8650 engines. The 8630 is 275 hp stock and 619ci.

I was not sure what they did but we had our replaced as well. thanks for the info guy's

JD's 8630 is a pile..... my uncle had two or three and thats why he aint farming anymore.

Keep dreaming buddy.

I don't care if the 8630 was the biggest, steaming pile of crap ever built, it was not the sole cause of a failed business.

As for the turbo, any turbocharger that old has little going for it IMHO. Things have improved quite a bit since then.

Keep dreaming buddy.

I don't care if the 8630 was the biggest, steaming pile of crap ever built, it was not the sole cause of a failed business.

As for the turbo, any turbocharger that old has little going for it IMHO. Things have improved quite a bit since then.

Shure the tractor didnt totally do him in BUT it shure didnt help one bit!! 3 or 4 grand every time the motor went out! then another 2-3 for the transmission. every year like clockwork the motor or the transmission would take a dump. once these got over 3500 hours you were in for trouble. Farmers cant afford to have a tractor down with a blown motor in the middle of a weeding operation. let the weeds grow and they will deplete the soil and moisture that when you plant the wheat(or whatever you grow) it doesent have the nutrients or the moisture to grow and make a profit to keep farming. to make things worse if the weeds you didnt kill went to seed you now have 10X the problem the next year.

its a domino effect

Massey Fergs are the only way to go except the 1155 bc that 8cyl motor was junk! first i would do with a john deere would be sell it!

Shure the tractor didnt totally do him in BUT it shure didnt help one bit!! 3 or 4 grand every time the motor went out! then another 2-3 for the transmission. every year like clockwork the motor or the transmission would take a dump. once these got over 3500 hours you were in for trouble. Farmers cant afford to have a tractor down with a blown motor in the middle of a weeding operation. let the weeds grow and they will deplete the soil and moisture that when you plant the wheat(or whatever you grow) it doesent have the nutrients or the moisture to grow and make a profit to keep farming. to make things worse if the weeds you didnt kill went to seed you now have 10X the problem the next year.

its a domino effect

I never said you could afford to have equipment down, be it money or time wise. You're reading too much into what I said. I simply said that your previous statement was unrealistic, and now you're changing your story a bit.

There are many things that will cause a business to fail, it just may be that the tractor problems was the last nail in the coffin in this case.

Why is it that all Deere's that I have been around 30 series, 40 series, 50 series and last was a 4455 burned allot of fuel but were gutless wonders, the worst was a 4840.......talk about a no pulling ass clown.

I'll take an old 4020 any day though.

Jim

Why is it that all Deere's that I have been around 30 series, 40 series, 50 series and last was a 4455 burned allot of fuel but were gutless wonders, the worst was a 4840.......talk about a no pulling ass clown. I'll take an old 4020 any day though. Jim

It seems that when deere went away from the DB2 pump is when their tractors took a dump as far as fuel consumption, responsiveness, and ease of starting... I also believe that the lack of a cross flow head and crappy manifolds didn`t help them either.

I am an IH man myself, but if I had to own a Deere it would be a 4320 :Cheer:

I never said you could afford to have equipment down, be it money or time wise. You're reading too much into what I said. I simply said that your previous statement was unrealistic, and now you're changing your story a bit.

There are many things that will cause a business to fail, it just may be that the tractor problems was the last nail in the coffin in this case.

Unrealistic?? that tractor put him so close to bankrupt most regular people would have just quit...

However my favorite tractors are the Ford 5000 and 7000 Row Crop. We had them both when I was a kid. Never had any problems out of them. Great on fuel and had plenty of power for their size.

We had and I sold a Ford 7710 90 hp class when I came in the Navy in 91' you could pull the guys out of that 4 cyl turbo and it would burn 4 1/2 to 5 gal/hr, put a wheat drill behind it and cut that in half. If it were mine today I'd put an air to air intercooler on it like the Newhollands' now run.

Jim

Back