junker drag truck, or 2wd play toys who's got one?

The DPC single is my Drag Truck is still holding up fine at 5500 lbs and 400+ to the wheels. I haven't made a pass with my new found power yet so I don't dare claim 500+ but I will say unofficially, it now has 500+ and the converter does not slip. Phil Taylor obviously would not recommend a single for a competition vehicle but you'd be surprised how much power one of his singles will hold on a lighter weight vehicle. Honestly, I'm more worried about the stock input shaft and stock flex plate than the converter.

nice but I talked to garmon today, and im going with one of his billet triple disk converters, street/strip valve body, billet flex plate, billet input shaft, billet drum, billet intermediate, and so on only thing that will be stock will be the output shaft. I don't want to do the tranny half azzed and have an input shaft snap and wipe out the converter or anything. So I guess my truck won't be much of a budget build, but its deffinetely starting out as a beater. I just picked it up tonight, 96 reg cab long bed white, 248k paid 2400 for it, with new brand new 245 geolander at's. runs and drives great front end is tight, doesnt leak, tranny shifts good, brakes are mint, but body needs some serious attention as does the interior I was thinking strip the interior and just put two racing seats in, and a floor shifter with a 2 gauge pod. and replace the power windows which need motors with doors that have manual windows and locks since my doors are toast, then paint the whole truck flat black, and smoke all the lights and eventually have it painted all white again. ill try to get some pics tomorrow

nice but I talked to garmon today, and im going with one of his billet triple disk converters, street/strip valve body, billet flex plate, billet input shaft, billet drum, billet intermediate, and so on only thing that will be stock will be the output shaft. I don't want to do the tranny half azzed and have an input shaft snap and wipe out the converter or anything. So I guess my truck won't be much of a budget build, but its deffinetely starting out as a beater. I just picked it up tonight, 96 reg cab long bed white, 248k paid 2400 for it, with new brand new 245 geolander at's. runs and drives great front end is tight, doesnt leak, tranny shifts good, brakes are mint, but body needs some serious attention as does the interior I was thinking strip the interior and just put two racing seats in, and a floor shifter with a 2 gauge pod. and replace the power windows which need motors with doors that have manual windows and locks since my doors are toast, then paint the whole truck flat black, and smoke all the lights and eventually have it painted all white again. ill try to get some pics tomorrow

Sweet man! These beater builds keep popping up like crazy!

Sweet man! These beater builds keep popping up like crazy!

yah i agree, I think they are more fun when you only pay a few thousand for the truck or maybe even less and just unleash the power of a 12v, vs. buying a nice common rail that you might not own and have to make a payment on every month on top of whatever you want to do it. Which there is nothing wrong with, but for me I would rather not have a payment at such a young and the fact that I only paid 2400 for it means I can beat on the thing all i want and won't feel bad when it breaks, or if I was to grenade the motor, I have my hands on a 24v motor complete for 600 with a remaned pump, which would be perfect for a p-pump swap.

yah i agree, I think they are more fun when you only pay a few thousand for the truck or maybe even less and just unleash the power of a 12v, vs. buying a nice common rail that you might not own and have to make a payment on every month on top of whatever you want to do it. Which there is nothing wrong with, but for me I would rather not have a payment at such a young and the fact that I only paid 2400 for it means I can beat on the thing all i want and won't feel bad when it breaks, or if I was to grenade the motor, I have my hands on a 24v motor complete for 600 with a remaned pump, which would be perfect for a p-pump swap.

Exactly! I Bought my self a common rail and am still making payments on it and have modded it pretty good but the 12 valve is alot more fun to dump money into because i wont be as pissed when it grenades. until the build cost of the 12 valve gets higher than the price of the common rail it self that is. :hehe:

I'm going to have to get some pics up too. Got my 94 for $1500. with 280,000 miles on it. Took it to the track a few weeks ago and ran a 14.3 with stock turbo and tranny.

here are pictures of it.....
001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

010.jpg

still 100% stock, I haven't done anything to it yet, but it doesn't leak any oil on the ground but after not being clean in 250k miles the engine is a little dirty, I should be around 300whp by the weekend, then have it timed to 22* and have the kdp tabbed and this thing will be a rocket down the highway. Can't wait for the track to open in the spring, Im thinking I should hit 13's going to the track with around 450hp

Last edited:
still 100% stock, I haven't done anything to it yet, but it doesn't leak any oil on the ground but after not being clean in 250k miles the engine is a little dirty, I should be around 300whp by the weekend, then have it timed to 22* and have the kdp tabbed and this thing will be a rocket down the highway. Can't wait for the track to open in the spring, Im thinking I should hit 13's going to the track with around 450hp

Truck looks good man! looks like it has already been repainted once too. a white truck on the outside but a red rocket underneath!:rockwoot:

Truck looks good man! looks like it has already been repainted once too. a white truck on the outside but a red rocket underneath!:rockwoot:

yea, I saw that before I bought it and didn't care. they didn't paint the door jambs either, Im planning on removing the seats and carpet this weekend, and sanding it down and painting it flat black if the weather is nice. I took the bed liner out and started filling it with extra things I don't need, it will be full by sunday....I plan on buying a set of doors that have manual windows and locks, might save a little weight, and my doors are pretty rusted anyways. I took the trim off tonight, im downsizing on mirrors, but the truck will be staying street legal, probably going to lower it soon too.

Last edited:
Depending on traction and how much you strip it down, with 450 HP to the wheels, you'd have enough power to run high 12's.

My 95' moderately stripped weighed 5500 lbs. I could get it lighter but after adding twin turbos and such, it'll probably stay right around 5500 lbs. Traction is the biggest obstacle to running quick at the drag strip. I wish a good-ole-boy at the track would take me under his wing and teach me the art of traction. I'm sure with an extreme ladder bar setup and sticky slicks, traction would be plentiful but with homemade caltracs and cheap tires, it's hard to come by.

Have you tried two stepping it out of the hole? It takes a lot of practice to time it right but it works great. I usually did high 1.9s on street tires. What kind of tires are you using?

If you feather it, your 60' times will suffer rather than spinning a little. Also, try adding some weight in the bed, like a Gooseneck Hitch, Tire, Tailgate...

Depending on traction and how much you strip it down, with 450 HP to the wheels, you'd have enough power to run high 12's.

My 95' moderately stripped weighed 5500 lbs. I could get it lighter but after adding twin turbos and such, it'll probably stay right around 5500 lbs. Traction is the biggest obstacle to running quick at the drag strip. I wish a good-ole-boy at the track would take me under his wing and teach me the art of traction. I'm sure with an extreme ladder bar setup and sticky slicks, traction would be plentiful but with homemade caltracs and cheap tires, it's hard to come by.

my first 96 reg cab long bed slt with full interior, not stripped at all weighed 5640....

Last edited:
A lil about my project. It's a 94 2wd auto with a gear vendors under/overdrive. it had 75 hp injectors and a bd exhaust break i have since added some II 5x.018s, 191s (freebies for helping a good friend with some labor), rack plug 4kgsk misplaced fuel plate and afc arm, a hx60w (76/85 24) single, custom :nos: setup. sun coast hd rebuild kit, billet input, triple disc converter, 305/60 r18 toyo proxies from the last truck, turbo back custom 5in exhaust to 6 in stack, and im sure im missing a few things. Ill have her at the Texas diesel shoot out the 5th and wont be able to get her to the track until then. I wouldn't call her a beater but she isn't a high dollar build either. newhoo here are the pics
lostnwalmart06

lostnwalmart06

lostnwalmart06

lostnwalmart06

How soon/well does that HX60 spool? Looks like a fun ride for sure. Have you worked on the rearend setup at all? I think you're going to have traction problems if you're running stock rear suspension.

With the gear vendors off and no giggle juice it will start going about 50mph in 3rd. With a 150 shot in about 1.5 seconds when ever I want :nos: the stock converter stall speed kills spool from the line but I'm talkin to suncoast about that issue :bow: . For supension I'm going to run cal tracks and 2 leafs but for now I have a clamped spring clamp. Defsntly a fun project .

Back