Just purchased a 03 Dmax want some input

jordanjames81

Just purchased a 03 Dmax im waiting on shipper to send it my way i got it cheap from carlot on line. Its already got a edge ez on it. Plus K&N drop in filter. Im wanting to put gauges in it but was thinking about selling the ez to get juice & attuide or adrenaline & pulse. Whats your guys thougths on those for just a tow rig. Dont want big power just a truck to haul my 03 Cummins to truck pulls. Also thinking about a airdog150. Any thougths on that also.

If you want to get rid of the Edge EZ you can Call Edge and use it for trade-in on a New Edge Setup..

I traded in my Evolution II from my 7.3l for a Insight For my '06.. All I had to pay was 50 bucks

have the injectors been taken care of? just something too watch if they haven't been changed. A Local truck has a juice on his and as long as you keep it on level 1 the Transmission shifts fine. Once turned higher it starts flare shifting and occasionally limps. They've kept it on level 1 and its been towing every day for the last 3 yrs.

Lavon

Get away from edge IMHO. Better off to get a ppe standard or a predator if you are just wanting to tow and it will cost you less money. The edge on my truck would limp the trans on level 4 with defuel. With the PPE it held level 6 which is a lot more power. The edge just does not manage the defueling that well and you know you will end up wanting to turn it up at some point.

Just get a conservative efi tune put on it. Any dmax tuners in your area?

There is one, guy around my area that does Dmax with efi but he charges a arm and leg to load a file on a truck. Shane Robinson is the guy that has it he the one thats building Dale Calender 2.8 Dmax. Im not wanting any big hp numbers just a good tow rig. I have the 03 Cummings for big hp as it was taken off the road 5 months ago in im building motor now. I looked at efi last nite myself my dealer price from a company i get parts from wasnt bad. I just wanted something with gauges cause of towing. Thought of the edge.

I believe the edge insight is just guages but I haven't looked at it. A ppe standard will do you well if you don't do something in trade with EDGE. Only buy EFI from someone that does a lot of tuning also. I didn't and have really regretted it.
The airdog is used by a lot of people now. If you have to have the filter setup it's probably one of the best. I would look at PPE's lift pump if a filter isn't on your must have list.

If you want to do EFI live I can help you with that. Just let me know.

I make just buy the efi and start playing with it some, nothing crazy though. Just buy a set of gauges and put in it. I may be able to pick up a ppe from a buddy cheap cause he sold his dmax has no need for it. He priced it for $200 bucks.

I believe the edge insight is just guages but I haven't looked at it. A ppe standard will do you well if you don't do something in trade with EDGE. Only buy EFI from someone that does a lot of tuning also. I didn't and have really regretted it.
The airdog is used by a lot of people now. If you have to have the filter setup it's probably one of the best. I would look at PPE's lift pump if a filter isn't on your must have list.

Yeah the insight is just guages

not sure if this will work but will see taking pic's from auction add. plan on some new wheels/tires ranch hand baja style front bumper edge jucie/attuide possibly II 90 sticks. Picked it up for $7700 bucks.

Attachments

• 03 Dmax.jpg
    03 Dmax.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 43
stay away from edge...its junk on a duramax except the evo race for the lbz+

like guys said efi is the way to go...ppe #2 and quadzilla stealth would be the bargain bang for your buck choice of tuners

Nice truck! Even better price! I wouldn't worry about going to a larger injector for what you're wanting to do. The Dmax doesn't need to go larger on injectors until quite a bit more HP. I bet intake, exhaust, gauges, and EFILive or PPE tuner will be good.

211k isnt bad....only thing you need to worry about are injectors...besides little stuff liek wheel hubs that like to go and crappy stock idler/pitman arms

Its fixing to hit 211k

200K+ and you are on your own with injectors. besides that you will be fine.

edge is junk on LB7 motors... dont know if edge ever got the random shut downs fixed for it...there are several thread in archive about it on diesel place.. servel people had it happend whill towing 5'ers with family going down a grade...

PPE/efi live is best bets especially if you got inj in there already between these two tuners there is no point in stacking tuners.

90hp injectors will max the stock turbo out quick and in a hurry.

also a tranny SC3 or equivilant will do wonders even on a mild tuned truck ;)

shift kit are junk and dont fix the problem for allisions

tie rod sleaves and cognitio braces for the front. especaily when you plan on puting a ~200lb bumper on the front

and nice score on the truck :Cheer:

Back