Keep the Dana 44??

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Since the search function hates numbers... I recall Chris Werner was tossing around the idea of swapping a Dana 44 into the front of his truck for the strip. I was just curious to see what ever became of that or if anyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to try. I'm about to pick up a RCSB 1500 4x4 and plan to swap out the 9.25 because I hate making power with c-clip axles. But, since it's obviously not gonna be a sled puller, I wonder if the lighter 44 would survive at the 1/4 mile?

Not sure of the specifics, but the 94-99 Dana 60's have the same size axles as the Dana 44. I would think drag racing it would survive, but....

Not sure of the specifics, but the 94-99 Dana 60's have the same size axles as the Dana 44. I would think drag racing it would survive, but....

Hmmm I'll have to look into that, then the difference would be the u-joints in the steering knuckles and the ring & pinion of course. I figure it's worth running till it grenades and put a 60 in, the only thing I worry about is if the shafts aren't the weak point, what could break that might bind at 120+ MPH? Wouldn't most failures occur at the line during launch anyway?

Back