Keeping the back end of the truck on the ground

VMAX

Tailgate, no tailgate, Tailgate with a bed cover of sorts. What do you guys think is the best combo to tame the wind and to keep the tires planted on the big end? A guy at pinks had a sweet 32 Ford truck that had a enclosed bed and claims it really helped him keep the traction. According to Myth busters just a gate gets the best mileage. In my eyes that means less turbulence. What do you think?

When there was pro stock trucks in the nhra they had an enclosed bed with a wing... Seems like there must be something to it. They don't spend the big bucks on r&d for nothin...

I think anything over 150 in a p/u needs a cover and a spoiler outback. You really aren't looking for a loss of turbelence, just looking for some more downforce.

When there was pro stock trucks in the nhra they had an enclosed bed with a wing... Seems like there must be something to it. They don't spend the big bucks on r&d for nothin...

Agreed.... Mr 32 Ford had a very small spoiler that came up no more than say 2" at a easy angle.

I think anything over 150 in a p/u needs a cover and a spoiler outback. You really aren't looking for a loss of turbelence, just looking for some more downforce.

I think the bed turbulence might have something to do with it too. It makes sense going back on the myth busters findings. Plus the 32 had the same issues and said he killed it with the enclosed bed he runs no more than say 130 mph. My 1st pass with no wind was rock solid, the next with wind was rocky at the big end.

Dont know how fast your going, but with the radial car we put a wicker bill on the wing and it was a different car to drive. The new car will have an adj wicker bill on it. Look at anything fast 9.00's and faster you see very few cars,truck,semi's, ect without a wing and wicker bill.

my brother has a s10 that runs well into the 8's over 155mph on a drag radial and he runs it with no tail gate no wing and it is a smooth as can be.

Dont know how fast your going, but with the radial car we put a wicker bill on the wing and it was a different car to drive. The new car will have an adj wicker bill on it. Look at anything fast 9.00's and faster you see very few cars,truck,semi's, ect without a wing and wicker bill.

Mid to lower 10'S 130 is the highest MPH I have seen. I don't think I am in wing territory more or less looking into tailgate or not bed cover or not. If I actually do a bed cover I might end up with a very small spoiler............ maybe.

Remember, air flow changes around the truck at different speeds. The Mythbuster deal was at highway speeds. The top of the truck has a "Camber" effect like an airplane wing from the curvature of the cab. By no means is it aerodynamic, however, you are creating lift from the cab. the faster you go, the more lift you are creating. That said, as speeds progress, the lift vector will tilt more rearward and create more induced drag, (drag from the lift vector tilting aft) to go along with the parasitic drag, (shoving a brick through the air). By removing the tailgate you are increasing the distance the air has to travel over the truck, thereby increasing the induced drag. Having a bed cover or wing on it reduces the induced drag and actually allows the airflow to separate from the truck sooner, creating less lift, effectively giving you more downforce.

I understand its far more complicated than that, but thats the readers digest version. IMHO.

Good greif, the "readers digest version" was confusing enough. I had to read it twice to even begin to comprehend those 10 dollar words.

The wind pushes down on the thingy, making the do hickey push down on the wheels......better? LOL

I already knew that part! I just didn't know all the big words to explain it.

How bad would the ride be with a bed top and no bed floor? Would it act like a kite and take off?

I am with ya and yes I had to read it twice too. Okay so bed cover aside is it agreed that you can reduce lift with a tailgate or without one? By having the so called air pocket in the bed to help deflect the drag?

I've noticed most guys over about 120 in El Caminos, trucks and such, always seem to have the gate down, or no tailgate.

At higher speeds, the "Pocket" is not gonna exist in the bed. You will most likely not have enough wind in the bed to ruffle leaves.

I was always told to run tailgate down to go faster..... Having said that, my truck is too slow to worry with it.

Cover the top and if you need too later you can add a small spoiler.

Back