Large tires on dyno

huntinducks82

Do large tires on the dyno hurt your final hp#s. Just wonderin what you all thought and how much do they hurt if you think they do.
Thanks Brian

ive only dynoed with 33 or 35's when i said at one time i was going throw some stockers on to dyno, everyone said the difference was not worth it.

Dunbar told us down at TS last year that he did a truck with 37's and then ran it over with 265's and it was like 10hp difference.

I think Camotanker ran with his 40's and then stock size tires and didn't notice much difference either, he would have to confirm the difference but I don't think it was enough to make him want to swap out tires again.

Sometimes it helps...MORE LOAD. I get closer to street boost numbers than most high hp guys...with my 37's.

So i guess 33s would not make a differense then. Thanks for the input. How much hp are you are talkin about it not makin a differnse on.

Last edited:
Sometimes it helps...MORE LOAD. I get closer to street boost numbers than most high hp guys...with my 37's.

exactly. Depending on the dyno and if you're having trouble seeing full boost, larger tires can actually help more than they hurt.

While we are on the topic has anybody ever put a dragster or a narrowed rear end on a dyno. The dyno we want to use is a little wide. There will be 3 " of the tire hanging off on the inside. Will this be okay or would we be better off not chancing it.

This is also what Ive found John, I called around with my measurments and it seems the inner side of my slicks would hang off from 3-5 inches depending on the dyno. I was going to try it at Dr. Performances one night, but they said it was to dangerous also, it woulod be ugly if that tire flopped around and touched the floor........Oh well track times is good enough for me.
Ryan

While we are on the topic has anybody ever put a dragster or a narrowed rear end on a dyno. The dyno we want to use is a little wide. There will be 3 " of the tire hanging off on the inside. Will this be okay or would we be better off not chancing it.

As your tire grows with speed, the edge of the tire on the roller will creat a pressure spot and will ballon(bust) on you. I watched it happen once in a super flow enclosed dyno room. Scared me half to death and broke one of the rear staps, and cause about $2500 in damage to the car.

The car was at 170 or 180 MPH when it happened.

I ran with my 41's,....

But the biggest I've seen,...was went I set up a DYNO Day/GTG here in Louisiana.

My buddy came from TX,....46" tires...dually...outters were hanging off.

100_5825.jpg

I ran with my 41's,....

But the biggest I've seen,...was went I set up a DYNO Day/GTG here in Louisiana.

My buddy came from TX,....46" tires...dually...outters were hanging off.

100_5825.jpg

that looks like a Truck Source Diesel sticker on that window. There were some nice trucks at their truck show a couple weeks ago

Back