launching...

6owed

gettin' faster
I have heard alot of you guys talk about running the 1/4 in 4HI
I have always been under the impression that it is very hard on your 4x4 to run on dry pavement.
it also mentions it in some vehicle manuals.
is ok?
also doesn't it affect your over-all power getting to the ground therefore lowering your ET's
I can see how it would dramatically improve your 60' time
i'm not trying to knock anybody just lookin for some input?

I have run mine a whole bunch that way and it works just fine.

i have been wanting to ask you what your times are?

I run mine in 4x4 all the way. Most of the warnings about running in 4x4 at high speeds is more of a safety warning then a mechanical one. If you try to make a sharp turn at high speeds in 4x4, roll overs have been know to happen... :D If you are making sharp turns at the drag strip, then you all ready have major problems! The transfer case in the Powerstrokes are very stong. Arguably the strongest on the market in diesel pickups.

Paul

I've punched my truck into 4wheel drive while slidding down a freeway at 75mpg sideways in the dead of winter..

I have no quarms about going in and out of 4x4 at any speed when the roads demand it.

I've driven probably hundreds of miles in 4x4.. I have no problem with a few 1/4 mile runs.

DAL's truck is slow!lol

put it in 4hi, hold the brake with left foot, load up as much boost as humanly possible w/o moving forward, remove left foot and your there.

WHAT??? You mean you can run in 2wd???? :eek:

Hmmm... have to try that sometime.

Seriously, boosted 4x4 launches are the key ingredient to getting killer ET's in a turbo diesel.

I always run in 4hi on the track. Don't shift out until slowing down to turn. Mine has seen over 100mph many times in 4hi on the track. There is no way I can hookup in 2wd and have a respectable 60' or 1/4 ET.

I really appreciate the feedback
I will try it tonight at T&T

I have pulled quite a few boosted 4x4 launches as well. Never a problem

MD-LUCKY said:
I've punched my truck into 4wheel drive while slidding down a freeway at 75mpg sideways in the dead of winter..

I have no quarms about going in and out of 4x4 at any speed when the roads demand it.

I've driven probably hundreds of miles in 4x4.. I have no problem with a few 1/4 mile runs.

Exactly as MD put it. Put her in 4wd build some boost and let r rip.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

My turbo spools so fast I have to be careful staging. I've accidentally built too much boost and pushed through the lights. Bad idea.

At the track I'll light the prestage bulb, wait for the other guy to light the prestage, build some boost and creep into the staged bulb. I prefer to do all the boost building before lighting the staged bulb so I can concentrate on cutting a decent light. You can whoop up on guys just by tree'ing them.

:stab:

BTW, a reaction time doesn't affect an E/T...but beating them across the line sure is fun.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I don't know if any of you guys realize this, but my truck has run quicker/faster than BIGRPOWR's truck.

:shake:

That is all.

BIGRPOWR said:
DAL's truck is slow!lol

Yeah but she sure is pretty. The best I have ever run was a 13.73 in Dallas over a year ago. I have added a few things since, but and was hoping for some good numbers in HOuston. Due to some technical and Idiot issues, I never got the NOS flowing till sunday, but it rained.

Next year I WILL hit the 12's:ylsuper:

Back