LB7 injector problem cure

Mr.T

DPF's are gay
In this vast market of diesel performance and upgrades, has anyone found a way to cure the lb7's problems associated with the injectors? I've heard its fairly easy to swap the LLY heads on and use those injectors, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found a way to greatly increase the life of the injectors if not eliminating the problem all together, I'm aware that good filtration is key to longevity in the case of the lb7, I'm just curious if someone knows something I don't.....discuss

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nevermind. Do the lly or maybe lbz(?) swap, wouldn't call that easy though.

Last edited:
2001 and 2002 is a pain in the ass to swap. 2003 and 2004 look easier. I just did a lly in a 2002.

So what's all involved in putting say......04-05 lly heads and injectors on an 02 lb7? I take it there's more involved than taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on? I'm trying to learn how all this stuff works and the easy way is searching and asking questions.....LOL

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I used a 04 lly engine harness and ECM. The electrical plugs at the fuse box look the same but the wires are in all different spots. I repinned all the plugs so it would plug in and work. The fuel sender, the ac, and oil pressure won't work without adding some wiring. It's a time consuming project.

So in your opinion having actually done it.....is it worth the time/expense? Or is it easier to keep changing lb7 injectors every 4 years? (assuming they actually last that long)

fat fingered using TapaTalk

I used a 04 lly engine harness and ECM. The electrical plugs at the fuse box look the same but the wires are in all different spots. I repinned all the plugs so it would plug in and work. The fuel sender, the ac, and oil pressure won't work without adding some wiring. It's a time consuming project.
No kidding. Very cool. That knowledge would be a boon to a lot of 01-02 owners. 03-04 trucks should be closer to plug-n-play. Thanks.

So in your opinion having actually done it.....is it worth the time/expense? Or is it easier to keep changing lb7 injectors every 4 years? (assuming they actually last that long)

Not for $1800-2000 a shot its not. My plan is to eventually go LBZ/6spd and drop the LB7 into a smaller truck, but if an LLY/5spd fell into my lap I wouldnt mind.

Last edited:
So back to my original post, has anyone come out with an injector that's less prone to fail? I know its kinda a piss poor design to begin with.....but everything can be improved right?

So back to my original post, has anyone come out with an injector that's less prone to fail? I know its kinda a piss poor design to begin with.....but everything can be improved right?

I have 2 or 3 of the latest greatest revisions from BOSCH right now taht are on there way out with less than 30K on them, so no cure has been found yet. It's all a crap shoot wether they will fail or not. Yes some have swapped in the LLY heads and injectors to there LB7 engines and ran the LB7 ECM and FICM and just redid the harness to plug into the LLY injectors and used LLY fuel lines along with some SERIOUSLY custom EFILIVE tuning and made it work. If you have an 03+ the best option is to just drop in an LLY engine and use it's harness and modules as it is pretty much plug and play, or drop in an LBZ and run the the 2 can bus wires along with the TCM power wires and go that route. As for swapping an LLY into an 01-02, it's doable but why when you have other options. Yes it could be done by adding the one wire for the oil pressure sending unit, using EFILIVE to rescale teh fuel sender, and then finding the correct ECM OS to make the A/C work(most of the newer trucks used BUS triggered A/C whereas 01-02 trucks used a hard wired trigger wire to trigger it).

Mine were replaced in December and have about 15k on them, I'm adding an airdog with 2 Micron filters as soon as cash flow allows. Has anyone noticed increased injector life with added filtration?

added filtration is key the cleaner you can keep the fuel and the air bubbles out is gonna increase life span for sure, i put a set in customer's truck about 3yrs ago, small fass system with 2 filters, truck's bone stock, about 150k on those injectors and havent had any problems, i put small lift pumps on trucks all the time regardless if they're turned up or not, and helps the injector pump as well

I fully agree, the filtration is good for the injector life, and the fact that you're adding a lift pump will take a lot of the workload off the cp3 and there's no way that can be a bad thing

access flow cools injectors if you choose to inject your cooling (chip) or Old pump, this lowers the access flow of fuel to cool the injectors so by adding a lift pump the CP3 no longer needs to lift fuel it is at 10 psi so it's a change from 8 or so inches of HG thus the pump needs to work less hard and more efficiently to get to target pressure

Back