leaking fluid and no OD

c0mmins4

I have a 04.5 dodge with a 48re not tv motor it has a tv cable. i rebuild it this weekend with new HTS clutches.. it is a full built hts trans. my questions are
1. i'm looseing tub loads of fluid from the bell houseing could this be caused by the seal busted while installing? or could it be from filling it up to fast with fluid i used Hydrallic fluid not ATF?
2. I don't have OD i can FEEL 1 2 3 then a little more umf about a second after it shifts into third which is my convertor locking but then no OD? what do i need to check/adjust to get my OD back?

Thanks Eddie.

did you tighten the little screw up that holds the apply lever in? seal it with anything?

get a gauge on it or a scanner and see if its commanding OD

Are you sure the extra umf is lockup and not OD?

There is a port on the back of the trans that you can check and see if your getting pressure to the OD clutches.

Last edited:
at 3200 rpm i can only do 62 mph so i would think it's not unlocking and not going into od but im not sure. i don't have a scanner or pressure gauge avalable.

and yes the little screw in the bottom left of the bell houseing when your looking into it... i put 4 wraps of thread tape on it and then red lock tight. i heard that if you fill it to fast it can come out of the vent in the top of the pump??

yes if you put too much atf in without starting it first then it will leak out of the vent hole. It should stop right after you start it up though.

well it leaks out while the truck is running but as soon as i shut it off it stops leaking.

i pulled the DTC's on my programer and it came up with 3 of them one about the pcm/ecm haveing a interferance signal one about circuit a of the trans temp sensor the last trans fluid pressure low.

Trans temp error could put you in limp. Do you have the relay PTC relay jumpered? Are you locking it up with a lockup switch?

P2509 ECM power input signal intermittent*
P0713 trans fluid temp sensor a circuit high
P0686 trans fluid pressure low

these are my three codes I pulled thanks for the help so far let me know what you think about these codes!

You need to get the leak fixed, thats likely your low pressure code. the temp sensor high could cause a lack of OD.

You need to get the leak fixed, thats likely your low pressure code. the temp sensor high could cause a lack of OD.

I was thinking th leak was the low pressure but the temp sensor I was reading on alldata.com while at school tonight and I read about how it operates and if the temp doesn't drop down to 110* it won't allow OD. So thank you and thank zstroken and everyone else I'm gonna try the test on the temp sensor and see what happens along with fix my leak and hopefully have my rig back up and running! Thanks again Eddie

Back