Leaky injector or line?

Racer9

Getting some dampness around #2, is it possible for the injector to leak, or is is more likely the line? I have tried tightening the lines, as well as loosening and re-tightening them. I'm afraid to tighten them any more. Truck has 135k, injectors are fresh 90hp rebuilts.

Getting some dampness around #2, is it possible for the injector to leak, or is is more likely the line? I have tried tightening the lines, as well as loosening and re-tightening them. I'm afraid to tighten them any more. Truck has 135k, injectors are fresh 90hp rebuilts.

Most likely the return line. Probably need to put a new copper washer on it, slight possibility it could be a line. But if you've loosened it and retightened i doubt its the line.

I think I have an extra washer for the return, I'll try that. Thanks.

I completely removed the lines (first three together) and couldn't see any signs of a crack, or damage to the seat. Re-installed, ran it today, and it still leaks. I tightened it up while warm, as much as I dared. If that doesn't work, Ill replace the washer. I have a spare.

had the same issue. did what youve done and check the lines. it was the lil washer on the return line. didnt start leakin till like 4 days after reintalled. i always keep a few new ones around just in case

Still leaking today. Replaced the washer tonight, could see no defects in the washer I removed. See what happens tomorrow.

if you got a leaky line it jus wouldnt be damp it would be soaked because thats a high pressure line and its just not gonna dribble out of the line...check your return screw too the older style of them go bad often at least thats what was told to me when mine had the same problem

if you got a leaky line it jus wouldnt be damp it would be soaked because thats a high pressure line and its just not gonna dribble out of the line...check your return screw too the older style of them go bad often at least thats what was told to me when mine had the same problem

Interesting. If it still leaks I'll try swapping the screw with another one and see if the leak moves with the screw.
Thanks.

On a friends truck, we swapped injectors at a dyno day. Put the new ones in and it had a bad leak from one of the return line banjo bolts. What happened was the alignment ball in the injector body and the groove in the head wasn't a very good fit, and allowed the whole injector to twist as I tightened down the hold down nut. I used an open end wrench on the flats of the injector to turn it CCW as I tightened the hold down nut, and it sealed up. It was spraying fuel pretty good. It was #3 or #4 injector, and it was spraying the firewall.

No change, if anything it was worse. Called Bosch, he said it was likely the copper washer on the injector, down in the head. No work tomorrow, so I'll pull it, check it out and replace it.
Now that I have a timing kit, I may as well bump the timing while I have the lines off!

Hopefully it's fixed now. Swapped out 1 & 2 injectors with new copper washers. Still had a leak at #2 so I tightened up the injector hold down nut to 55# instead of 45. Seems to be OK, won't know until I drive it.
Couldn't do timing, TDC pin froze up. Apparently the gear cover needs to come off to change it, so I'll do the timing then. Already did the KDP.

It seems to be dry now. I guess the extra torque cured it. Now to get that TDC pin out.

Back