Let's talk about torque converters

Howling

Soot Sniffer
It's time to pull the trans out of my 06 and freshen it up for this year. It's currently a HTS full billet trans with a 91% Suncoast torque converter.

Last year I raced it a few times and I had a hard time building any boost on the line (10 lbs is all) I used to be able to build at least 20 on the street.

I would like to try a looser converter but not sure how that is going to do on the street when I'm running a S475 as a single.

Who runs a 4 disc converter from DPC and how do they like it?

If I go back to a Suncoast (or DPC) what stall speed would people recommend for a weekend toy. 7800lbs, S475/.83/90

stock stall always worked well for me. Good street and track manners

I never really owned autos, so i'm new at what is what. based in how easily i could make boost with my single 66 and especially twins with the worn out motor (and especially cam), i decided to go with a lower then stock stall. i had a stock stall originally. I'm looking for street performance and to stay unlocked a little more then not. i didn't like the "right to 3000rpm" as soon as i was somewhat on the throttle. All dave g stuff

I suppose if you can spool the single.... tighter is bad :)

I like the convertor as tight as you can get and still light the charger.

Call Phil at DPC and tell him what you are doing with the truck and what you are running. He will fix you up with what you need.

I never really owned autos, so i'm new at what is what. based in how easily i could make boost with my single 66 and especially twins with the worn out motor (and especially cam), i decided to go with a lower then stock stall. i had a stock stall originally. I'm looking for street performance and to stay unlocked a little more then not. i didn't like the "right to 3000rpm" as soon as i was somewhat on the throttle. All dave g stuff

I suppose if you can spool the single.... tighter is bad :)

Which Goerend converter did you end up with Jason?

I like where this conversation is going.

Does anyone know where the stock stall is on some of the first 47re's, vs some of the last 48re's?

My first converter slipped a bit too much. It was nice for getting turbos lit on the start, but unlocked going 60 in overdrive I'd come to a hill and slow down to 45 without dropping any rpm. Locking in 3rd or overdrive felt like shifting from 4th to 6th accidentally with my old NV5600. I went to a 15LC and really like it.

Mine is a v10 stator ~2400 stall. I ran a 2800 3 disk before this and hated it. You could probably go a little tighter if you wanted. It lights my 80/87/1.0 at the line with ~30* timing....won't light at the line with 36*.

Which Goerend converter did you end up with Jason?

My first converter slipped a bit too much. It was nice for getting turbos lit on the start, but unlocked going 60 in overdrive I'd come to a hill and slow down to 45 without dropping any rpm. Locking in 3rd or overdrive felt like shifting from 4th to 6th accidentally with my old NV5600. I went to a 15LC and really like it.

If I remember my converter lingo, I'm getting the 15LC. I haven't driven it yet obviously, but that's what I'm switching to. My truck drove just like you's did with the stock stall. Just swiftly getting on to the highway, you can shift to 3rd and not really drop any RPM, hovering around 3000 and it would pull nice and smooth but it was just slipping a lot.

It wasn't bad in 1st and 2nd, but 3rd and 4th were annoying. To mitigate the slippage, I'd get the truck into 3rd for a few 100rpm, maybe about 40mph-ish, back off, lock it, accelerate to highway speed, unlock, 4th, lock. Took some practice but I got rather smooth. The trick is to understand the rate of the shift changes with throttle input and TV pressure. The only real down side with a manual valve body......

Does anyone know where the stock stall is on some of the first 47re's, vs some of the last 48re's?

I could make 20-25psi on the brake at ~1900rpm with the stock stall and a Dave G 47re. Tho keep in mind tuning can change that boost at the same RPM. Ran high 11's with a 20psi launch.

However once moving, it really stalled at 3000.

Last edited:
Just call phil and tell him your setup, altitude ect. I had him restall mine when i went from silver bullet to compounds and it couldnt be more perfect

We ran Phil's 4 disc converter in the race truck last year, and it was great, we ran about that same sized turbo for our secondary, and a 1900 stall. It could be a bit touchy for spool up on fuel, if I was going to use it on the street I would go a bit looser like 2100ish. As has been said we also go for the tightest converter that we can still light, but that is a race only application.

That 4 disc locks like a monster!

I could make 20-25psi on the brake at ~1900rpm with the stock stall and a Dave G 47re. Tho keep in mind tuning can change that boost at the same RPM. Ran high 11's with a 20psi launch.

However once moving, it really stalled at 3000.

Seems low, on my 12V with the HX35 I would hit 2200RPM when the truck was stock with the stock stall.

I wonder if you still had some torque management in there or something.

kinda wished i would of went a little lower in my stall now. 22-2400 is a bit high for the little street driving i did. made the chargers light quick though

I think there should be more words in here to describe a convertor....because there to is more two it than just stall. I have had several...in two different stalls. For me...the set upp with a lower stall but a higher flash...my word i guess for the ease to get to 1300-1500 rpms from idle worked best. I have also had convertors that i could just blow through on top and it never catch back.

Pick your flavor...and talk/work with your builder.

When I got home from Ponci's shop after picking it up I emailed Dave G. and told him I thought it slipped a bit more than I wanted. He said no problem and shipped me the 15LC. I had it swapped and sent the old one back. He is quite pleasant to deal with.
I've run the 15lc on the dyno with it unlocked and made 880ish hp. If it get the rpm up just a bit locking doesn't bog it down much at all. Spooling my twins on the line is no problem.

Seems low, on my 12V with the HX35 I would hit 2200RPM when the truck was stock with the stock stall.

I wonder if you still had some torque management in there or something.

Could be. I don't turn that off (wild). one setting less then stock. My truck hates the "wild" setting. Runnaway tune and everything.

When I got home from Ponci's shop after picking it up I emailed Dave G. and told him I thought it slipped a bit more than I wanted. He said no problem and shipped me the 15LC. I had it swapped and sent the old one back. He is quite pleasant to deal with.
I've run the 15lc on the dyno with it unlocked and made 880ish hp. If it get the rpm up just a bit locking doesn't bog it down much at all. Spooling my twins on the line is no problem.

Mine feels like 450-500whp unlocked. S L O W!

Back