Let's talk shop heat

So I am hoping you got it... did you install it yet? I want to hear about it?

Hells Bellz...still waiting on delivery! The holiday screwed me.

I'll probably get most of the gas piped in tonight after work. I'll be running 1" poly with steel risers outside. Then it will come inside to a tee and go 3/4" up to the 125K heater and 1/2" down to a valve where we might add a small gas log heater in the house later. I was working on it Wed afternoon when the wind chill dropped to single digits. I said screw it and went inside.

Thinking about doing a hose from the line inside so I can hook my gas grill to it. It'd be nice and cheaper to just run the grill from it too. Not sure about the pressure though. Might not be enough at 2psi. I'm gas dumb.....other than I can clear out an elevator.

I am curious if there is a real advantage to owning your own propane tank.

Not really. If the valve leaks or the gauge breaks or etc, it is someone else's baby to fix....for $48 a year that is. Probably cheaper in the long run to own your own, but more hassle if you have to have one repaired.

Last edited:
Around here you don't have to pay for tank rental. They say that you have to have a minimum annual purchase or they will charge $100 or something like that.
Last year we had them set 2 1000(because the initial fill rate was about 70% of refill) gallon tanks, we went through about 1000 gallons or so I would guess.

Here, it is $48 per YEAR (sorry, typo) and they come around and top your tank off every month on a rotation and bill you the fill-up at $2.10/gallon currently.

Hanging chains and ropes.

IMG_1127_zpseca1fbb2.jpg

IMG_1129_zps04738f9f.jpg

Snatch blocked to the 4-wheeler. Glad I kept all the good junk when I sold the wrecker.

IMG_1131_zpsfade3e7d.jpg

Fully assembled and waiting.

IMG_1133_zpsc416c78a.jpg

Was complaining to the wife "I sure wish I had a dayum winch." Then it hit me. On the west wall I had one that they threw away at work. I snatched it up. A new rectifier for $2.35 and it works. I had forgot I even had it. Cut a tube and mounted to the truck.

IMG_1135_zps13e7489e.jpg

Nigerian Riggin'. Chain was a safety. Not sure how well the brake worked on the winch so I kept up with it with a chain in case it spooled out when I stopped it.

IMG_1136_zpscdaf4abd.jpg

More riggin. I would suggest larger diameter pulleys.

IMG_1137_zpsa5e8449a.jpg

Houston, we have lift off.

IMG_1138_zps81e0089f.jpg

4-Wheeler started to slide so I anchored it down to the celler door. LOL

IMG_1139_zps5fac9cf1.jpg

You can do all the calculations you want....but they will all fail. At #160, divided by 5 lifting points, that's only #32 per rope. No matter if you think an S-hook will hold 32 or not, they are NOT for overhead lifting.

IMG_1140_zps1304fb38.jpg

The little bastard gave about 18 foot up. The west end dropped until the burner box hit the roof when it pivoted on the center rope. I said more cuss words in those few seconds than I have in a long, LONG, time. We managed to get it all back together and finished in the air. J.D. and I hung that entire 31 foot long SOB with only ropes, a small winch, and a 25 foot extension ladder. I'm so sore I can barely move.....but the heat is really nice. It is very quiet, it is clean (no fumes), it runs off a thermostat, and it doesn't cost much to operate.

LOVE IT!!!

It is a Detroit Radiant HL3-30-125P.

Went out the next morning and it was 30F outside and 65F in the shop. I even turned the HVAC in the house down 3 degrees. The heat propagates into the house which is nice. Very happy. So sore I can hardly move for an old man, but very happy with it.

I wanted it done for this coming Saturday. Going to do some guitar pickin' and that sucks when it's cold. :D

Last edited:
I am very jealous this this. I spent all weekend in our shop with 210,000 kerosene fired salamander. I still have a headache. It never got above 50 degrees with an outside temp of 25. I think the local heating guy we know is going to stop by this week and we can make some things happen.

I hear you. We've been using a 175K BTU Ready Heater with off-road-diesel in there since 2006. The headaches are the worst. And just running that blast funace in the evenings, we'd burn up 5 gallons of diesel in 3-4 days. It was breakin' the bank at $20 a pop.

I've seen some post about folks not liking these radiant deals.....but I have no idea why. I love it. I just laid my lawn chair back underneath it like I was getting a sun tan and sipped my Turkey 101....then an hour later almost needed help to get up. LOL

I hear you. We've been using a 175K BTU Ready Heater with off-road-diesel in there since 2006. The headaches are the worst. And just running that blast funace in the evenings, we'd burn up 5 gallons of diesel in 3-4 days. It was breakin' the bank at $20 a pop.

I've seen some post about folks not liking these radiant deals.....but I have no idea why. I love it. I just laid my lawn chair back underneath it like I was getting a sun tan and sipped my Turkey 101....then an hour later almost needed help to get up. LOL

That's the best part to look forward to. Any pictures of the finished product?

Sent from my Toilet Explorer

I completely failed at pics of the end. I'll get some tonight. My vent is rattlin' a little with the wind. It was blowing about 20 yesterday. I'll go up tonight and figure out what is making noise and take a few. You'll want to vent the exhaust outside. The intake is not required to be vented if you have enough square footage inside. However, if you want to spray a lot of volatiles or paint inside, you may opt to vent the intake too. It can be done either way. Just use double wall 4" for exhaust when you penetrate the roof or sidewall. It can go up or straight out the ends. It will take one 120 VAC input which can be switched if you want to turn it completely off when you leave for safety (around 4amps start up and 1.5 or so running load). I just plugged mine into a recept so I can unplug it. It came with a two stage thermostat so you'll need a phone/thermo cable from it to the heater. Takes four conductors (24VAC, Common, High, and Low). Everything was super easy except for it being 23 feet in the air. The higher you can mount it, the wider the radiant pattern on the floor. I can feel the heat on mine at that height on about a 32 foot wide path on the floor. Just about perfect for my 45 wide shop.

All the documentation if you want to read up on the one I have can be found here. I'm sure there are dozens of other brands as well.

http://www.reverberray.com/?product=hl3-series

Last edited:
I completely failed at pics of the end. I'll get some tonight. My vent is rattlin' a little with the wind. It was blowing about 20 yesterday. I'll go up tonight and figure out what is making noise and take a few. You'll want to vent the exhaust outside. The intake is not required to be vented if you have enough square footage inside. However, if you want to spray a lot of volatiles or paint inside, you may opt to vent the intake too. It can be done either way. Just use double wall 4" for exhaust when you penetrate the roof or sidewall. It can go up or straight out the ends. It will take one 120 VAC input which can be switched if you want to turn it completely off when you leave for safety (around 4amps start up and 1.5 or so running load). I just plugged mine into a recept so I can unplug it. It came with a two stage thermostat so you'll need a phone/thermo cable from it to the heater. Takes four conductors (24VAC, Common, High, and Low). Everything was super easy except for it being 23 feet in the air. The higher you can mount it, the wider the radiant pattern on the floor. I can feel the heat on mine at that height on about a 32 foot wide path on the floor. Just about perfect for my 45 wide shop.

All the documentation if you want to read up on the one I have can be found here. I'm sure there are dozens of other brands as well.

http://www.reverberray.com/?product=hl3-series

I did read through all of that I think the 200-40 would work best for my application. I am going to see what kind of brands and pricing the guy I know locally can get for us.

You failed at getting pictures because you had a few to many turkeys by the end of the project. HAHAHA... it was time to tan.

Not saying that those systems put out any at all, but please be safe and use a quality co detector, this is your family you would be saving. I read enough bad posts on here about losing a member, would hate to have to sit down and read that you got home to find a horror of incomprehensible magnitude.

Jory that's a sweet set up you have there.

I have a barrel stove in my 24x24 garage, it isn't insulated. I plan on adding another barrel on top of this one next fall and insulating at the same time. As of right now it keeps my garage at about 50* once I get a good fire going. I probably wouldn't even need to insulate it once I put the second barrel in.

I tell ya, I've yet to see a disadvantage. It is nice, warm, quiet heat. I leave it on 60 during the night and daytime when I'm not home. Then I bump to 63-65 when I go out and work in the evenings. I'd say it comes on about once an hour to hold 60....a wag at best.

I freakin' love it.

I kick myself for not putting it up the day after I built the shop.

Floor heat is great if you can do it. Friend of mine has it in his 100x60. We can pull 3 snow covered semis in and by morning it's dry except a little on the floor to squeegee away. What are you guys seeing for propane costs? Here in NW Indiana they're up to $6/gal if you can get it. It's a lot of work but I'm glad I heat with wood. When I put up a 60x40 at the house I'm thinking about getting an outdoor wood burner to heat the house and the shop.

Floor heat is great if you can do it. Friend of mine has it in his 100x60. We can pull 3 snow covered semis in and by morning it's dry except a little on the floor to squeegee away. What are you guys seeing for propane costs? Here in NW Indiana they're up to $6/gal if you can get it. It's a lot of work but I'm glad I heat with wood. When I put up a 60x40 at the house I'm thinking about getting an outdoor wood burner to heat the house and the shop.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165643

There is a whole thread discussing propane prices, unfortunately the prices are going nowhere but up!

Back