Levi's turbo blanket ?

Resolute_weldin

Got it in the mail yesterday and quality is superb! My truck has a 62/71/12 with 7x.009 injectors. Truck runs well, although the big hot side is a tad lazy. Anyways, got home and let the truck cool off enough I wasn't scalding myself trying to put the blanket on. Initial thought are that it's worth every penny. Haven't really played from a dead stop but the truck is so much more enjoyable. It lights faster or more "violently" as Levi says. He's an honest guy and I will gladly be buying a manifold blanket from him soon. Spool is sooner, it's easier to get and stay on top of the turbo. EGTs stayed the same I think, maybe a little lower but definitely not higher and 30 degree cooler IATs reading from the back of the head.

I like them and they make working around the turbos easier when its hot.

He builds quality stuff and as you can see one of my customers in PA swears by it.

IMG_3604_zpscljuwtzd.jpg

Interesting. I always thought the results would be negligible. You really make me want to buy one!

What's the theory behind how it works? It obviously keeps the turbo warmer? I would have thought transferring the heat to the compressor side would be bad. I'm assuming keeping the hot side warmer the heat will move over some.

Same theory as ceramic coating housings. They keep the heat in. Heat loss is energy loss that could be transferred to the turbine wheel. Under hood temps are cut an insane amount as well.

I've always been wanting to try a ceramic coated manifold for the big rig but seemed to find conflicting information on wether they were worth it or not. Same as a turbo blanket. Is it actually that much of a gain?

I've always been wanting to try a ceramic coated manifold for the big rig but seemed to find conflicting information on wether they were worth it or not. Same as a turbo blanket. Is it actually that much of a gain?

It improved spoolup noticeably on my old truck. Also helped underhood temps a ton.

How much are these things now? I know I need Atleast one for but should grab one for my manifold turbo as well

He can make custom blankets reasonable as well. Manifolds, hot pipes, downpipes, you name it. I still need tomake a call to him about getting some work done. I have only seen his work on the concrete trucks I built compounds for. I was impressed on what he could do with rough drawings sent to him.

Incase anyone has a steed, just let him know and he'll build it to fit the gate. Here's from my old 6.7.
2011-11-06_10-48-29_397.jpg

How much are these things now? I know I need Atleast one for but should grab one for my manifold turbo as well

He offers compd members a special deal. If I recall its $200 for a manifold and turbo blanket. Levi is a really cool guy, one of the most down to earth and kind people I've talked to.

It's pretty simple. Hot air is less dense than cold air. When you lose 400deg from the cylinder to the turbine, the air shrinks in volume from that temp change. Less volume through the fixed geometry turbo means less velocity, and velocity is what gets that wheels spinning.

It works the opposite kind of for the compressor side. Compressing the air makes the air hot, the hotter the air entering the engine, the less it expands. If you've got really cold air that gets into the cylinder, you get the chemical reaction of the fuel/air mixture, plus you get the pressure caused by the air expanding.

So, cold intake, hot exhaust is good!

Hmm, might have to slap a turbo and manifold blanket on the puller. Don't know if it'd make a noticeable difference in that application

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It's pretty simple. Hot air is less dense than cold air. When you lose 400deg from the cylinder to the turbine, the air shrinks in volume from that temp change. Less volume through the fixed geometry turbo means less velocity, and velocity is what gets that wheels spinning.

It works the opposite kind of for the compressor side. Compressing the air makes the air hot, the hotter the air entering the engine, the less it expands. If you've got really cold air that gets into the cylinder, you get the chemical reaction of the fuel/air mixture, plus you get the pressure caused by the air expanding.

So, cold intake, hot exhaust is good!

Makes sense that way. Never thought of the air density leaving the engine.

Back