lly or lbz in an 01???

reformed ricer

Diesel has been
how hard would it be? would you have change just the ecm? ist it worth it or not? which one is better?
i think i have a blown head gasket or cracked heads, not 100% sure yet, i need to take to the dealer to have it checked out. my buddy said something about puttin an lly or lbz in instead,so i was just wanderin. thanks.

I'm 99% sure that you'd be better off buying a wrecked truck with a newer motor if you wanted it, so you could get everything at once. I'm pretty sure it's more involved than just an ECM swap. Different turbos, EGR systems, etc.

no...you can only do an LLY or LBZ swap into an 03 or 04 LB7. ELectrical systems are completely different in the 01-02 LB7's.

thanks for the input. i think i'm just gonna fix the engine that's in it.

what's the best way to go about it though? is it easier to pull the engine or just pull the heads while it's still in the truck? i wanna do some powder coating on the ic piping while its down anyway, and it needs a new flex plate. if it's easier to do it in the truck, i can do the flex plate this fall/winter when i build the tranny. it's not goin back together without studs, either.

Last edited:
I have an 01 LB7 with 50k on it. IMO the 01-02 LB7's are the best, just as upgradable and with the exception of injector issues the least problematic, no burnt piston issues or overheating, also NO EMISSIONS!!! Let me know I will sell that motor cheap!!!

Back