LLY Overheating Info

buck0000

I need to know about the overheating issue with the LLY's. What exactly is the problem and the cause of this. I'm getting ready to but a LLY and need to know if i should be concerned. The 05 i am looking at has a 4in downpipe to a 5in exhaust and a cold air intake among other things will this help with the overheating problems? I plan on using the truck as a daily driver and for heavy towing.

Thanks to everyone in advance

Ryan

It's not the majority of the LLY's. there are fixes that make overheating a non-issue. The intake will help but it's more in the turbo mouthpiece its self

So is this about managing egt ? i was told the overheating had to do with the coolant, please correct me if i am mistaken thanks.

Ryan

So is this about managing egt ? i was told the overheating had to do with the coolant, please correct me if i am mistaken thanks.

Ryan

From what i understand it has to do with a design flaw in the LLY mouthpiece that make the air superheated before it gets into the chamber. Lots of people have solved overheating issues with an LBZ or aftermarket turbo mouthpiece.

If you can find one the Kodiak or LBZ mouthpiece is a known cure

From what i understand it has to do with a design flaw in the LLY mouthpiece that make the air superheated before it gets into the chamber. Lots of people have solved overheating issues with an LBZ or aftermarket turbo mouthpiece.

This will help engine temp??

This will help engine temp??

Seems to. Quite a few guys have said swapping from the LLY mouthpiece to a LBZ, Kodiak, or aftermarket mouthpiece has solve overheating issues. I have an LLY but have never had overheating issues, towing, racing, or otherwise.

Go to the diesel spot. There is kinds of info on there about the overheat issue. Also while there there look @ the v2 rad

Way to go on the redirect. Theres a ton of info on DP too but I try to help them here as they're already a member.

Not trying to turn anyone away from this sit. Just telling him a place to go to find lots of info on overheating issue. I am a member here, dp, dmaxcntral and the diesel spot and appreciate all the help and info i get from all the sites

thanks guys. im lookin at the AFE mouthpiece so i dont have to mess up the cold air intake the truck has. also the AFE is supposed to require NO modifications to install so i'll probly go that route.

Hey forgot to ask what is the V2 rad ur talkin about. isnt the efi live scan tool a V2 ? just need to know. thanks

It is a auxilury radiator that mounts under the factory radiator at an angle. I think the guy who developed goes by the txchristopher

Hey guys i have a 2005 lly. I am wondering if i have a cooling issue. I was driving interstate today unloaded and the outside temp was between 65* to 70* . My truck got up to 210* on the engine temp gauge and stayed there pretty much the entire trip ( trip was like 2 1/2 hours one way ). From what i noticed my truck usually runs right at 180* almost all the time. Now i have only had my truck for this winter so would the colder outside temp play a role in keeping my engine temp that much lower ? Im really concerned about it becasuse about a month and a half ago my low coolant light came on i took it to the dealer and they said the motor was dry. Now im no mechanic but i know coolant dont just get up and walk away. I got my friend who is a mechanic to look at is yesterday and he said the same thing motor looked dry. The coolant level was still up to the cold line when i stopped mid trip to check it. I still have my engine warrenty and will probly get it checked out again but any info from you all will help me greatly. Are there any specific questions to ask the mechanic at the dealership or any specific things i need to ask him to do?
Thanks to all Ryan

Did you install the mouthpiece yet ? How can coolant be in the overflow and the motor be dry? I don't understand the term motor was dry; did it take 4 gallons to refill ?.
Is your upper radiator hose hard in the morning before the initial start ? Any tell-tale signs of leakage ?? I'd fill it back up and do an intensive search for a leak

I meant that the outside of the engine block was dry. No i have not done the mouthpiece yet as i did not know whether that would affect my engine warrenty. Will that affect my coolant temps or just my EGT's. The upper radiator hose is still soft and plyable. Like i said Im concerned because it was runnin at 210* is that normal i dont know because i havent had the truck long and the last two i had were dodges.
Thanks to all for the help and please keep the suggestions coming.

nah maybe 185-190 but not 210. Not thinking the mouthpiece will void any warranty. Go ahead and do that. Use some test strips or tester to test the coolant condition; a 2005 should have had the coolant changed by now anyways.

Back