LLY Overheating Info

Not trying to turn anyone away from this sit. Just telling him a place to go to find lots of info on overheating issue. I am a member here, dp, dmaxcntral and the diesel spot and appreciate all the help and info i get from all the sites

I apologize for this man; that's kinda unlike me.:doh:

NO problem JD. Buck did you get your truck figured out. I will tell you that when it gets 70* outside and run down the highway mine will read 210. I put a scanner on it and the actual temp it read out was 193*

NO problem JD. Buck did you get your truck figured out. I will tell you that when it gets 70* outside and run down the highway mine will read 210. I put a scanner on it and the actual temp it read out was 193*

I've noticed the factory temp gauge is notoriously inaccurate. It seems most of them read around 20 degrees higher than actual.

Yea thanks for the info. 210 is sounding normal i called the dealer and they told me as well that that was a safe temp for my lly. I really appreciate yall taking time to help me out on this one. I didnt know bout the gauge being inaccurate. I'll have to hook a scanner up to mine too to see how far my gauge is off if any.

This is the same temps we get on our 05 3500 2wd duramax using a scanguage 11.
chevman

210* isn't hot thats normal the tstats ain't fully open until over 200*

I am not trying to advertize for anyone but this site I have posted below has alot of info on LLY heating issues. I looked through it when my buddy was having problems with his LLY. We ended up replacing his head gaskets (not saying you have this problem but the site helped us with solutions to cool his truck down). He did a LBZ mouthpiece and we installed LB7 boost tubes with helped alot with lowering EGT's. To lower coolant temps we fabbed up a shroud sealing kit like the one shown on the site. When you do your afe mouthpiece I would strongly suggest a pcv reroute and egr blocker. When the machine shop re surfaced my buddies heads he said he litterally had to go home during lunch and chage because of the "soot" in the intake system of his truck. That amount of "soot" had to have some sort of negitive effect on engine temps.

http://killerbeeperformance.com/

Last edited:
Do a search for Killerbee on many of the DMax forums . There's a lot more people I'd listen to before him.

Last edited:
I am on the other forums and have read about him. As I said, reading through his info gave us idea's and solutions to lower both the egt's and engine temp in my buddies LLY.

I have noticed that some trucks run cooler with a tune in them. Not sure if its the tune that did it or maybe shuting off the EGR that got things a little cooler. Also if your worryed about your headgaskets, there is a tester out there now that detects combustion gases in your coolant. A few parts stores have them, we have one from snap on at work, they work well and are really easy to use. I've also seen some dmaxes that have the water pumps impeller back off the shaft and not spin as fast as they would normaly, but they seam to pump enough that the engine doesn't over heat severly enought to hurt it, but they do get quite hot.

Back