lockup issues

RDPsmoker

OUT TO LUNCH..
I have searched and nothing I have read has completely answered my issues. I'm having issues with my converter locking and unlocking going down the road. If I use the switch to lock it the tranny will start going from 3rd to 4th! I drove the truck to lunch today and no issues..... get in it to the parents house and it starts to go crazy! :bang going to get it in the shop tomorrow. Would just like to have an idea of were to start.

How exactly did you install your lock-up switch? If it goes right into OD when you hit the switch, it sounds like you tapped into the OD solenoid wire, not the lock-up solenoid wire.

Assuming your working on a 47rh transmission, on the 3 prong plug, the middle wire is power feed, the front wire is overdrive, the rear wire is lock-up. There is also a 3 prong plug farther back on the tranny, don't touch it, this is for speedometer input.

Sounds to me just like a bad TPS. My transmission did 9 kinds of stupid stuff when mine went. Even when i locked the converter it would randomly downgear to 3rd, even when i was moving pretty good in overdrive.

Do the POT mod, and I bet your issues will be solved.

The switch is hooked up right. Have had it on the truck for over 6 months. Use it pretty often, never had an issue. I will check out the pod mod. Was going to get it in the shop today, but another guy from the shop took the free bay. He has more problems then me. Anyone have a quick link to a pod mod write up.

Last edited:
How exactly did you install your lock-up switch? If it goes right into OD when you hit the switch, it sounds like you tapped into the OD solenoid wire, not the lock-up solenoid wire.

Assuming your working on a 47rh transmission, on the 3 prong plug, the middle wire is power feed, the front wire is overdrive, the rear wire is lock-up. There is also a 3 prong plug farther back on the tranny, don't touch it, this is for speedometer input.

Yes I am working on a 47rh. My switch is hooked up on the lockup wire from the pcm. Just have it piggy backed to it. Goes from it to the switch to ground. Have it so when you flip the switch it grounds the lockup silenod.

Thank you sir. Hope to get it fixed today. Will report back with my finds tonight.

No didn't get it worked out yet. Figured I had a whole day, so I put my converter in. And radio shack was closed. So tomorrow I'm going to attempt to fix it.

Well it wasn't the tps. I replaced it with another one we had at the shop. Strange thing is my tranny light came on. My gauge read about 145, shot it with the temp gun and was the same. Wierd idea is that it could be my issue? Well now that I'm worked up I have to go to Walmart

Are you for sure the tps you just tried was good? Really sounds like a bad TPS to me. If its not that, then I think id start looking at all the wiring to make sure its ok.

Well it wasn't the tps. I replaced it with another one we had at the shop. Strange thing is my tranny light came on. My gauge read about 145, shot it with the temp gun and was the same. Wierd idea is that it could be my issue? Well now that I'm worked up I have to go to Walmart

Wow, you just discovered your problem!!!

Temperature sensor is bad and it's telling your PCM that the tranny is overheating and forcing it to down shift to 3rd.

On your way over to walmart, stop by Radio Shack and get a 1000 ohm 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt resistor. Then unplug the tranny temp sensor, and wire up or solder the 1000 ohm resistor in it's place.

Wow, you just discovered your problem!!!

Temperature sensor is bad and it's telling your PCM that the tranny is overheating and forcing it to down shift to 3rd.

On your way over to walmart, stop by Radio Shack and get a 1000 ohm 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt resistor. Then unplug the tranny temp sensor, and wire up or solder the 1000 ohm resistor in it's place.
Ya sure as sh*t that was it. Swapped it out and its fixed. And I was going to but radio shack didn't have any. There pretty crappy.

Back