Lockup kills my turbo...

Noah Serynek

Hey guys, lookin for some advice!

Last time I pulled, I hit my lockup switch bout 100 feet out and it totally snuffed out my turbo, so I quickly unlocked it. Tried again 50 or so feet later, same thing. Had to run unlocked down the track. I pulled same track last year, didnt have a problem like this at all.

Truck is a 2002 VP Dodge. Has a 71/74/.85 ATS Aurora 5000 (K31), 6x.013 SAC injectors, an ATS trans, and new E range Nitto Terra Grappler all terrains. Tires were about 45 psi in the front, 60 in the rear. Had two 100 pound weights on the passenger floorboard, and three 100 pounders in the bed. Also had spring clamps on the back, clamping main leaf pack and bottom helper spring, top single overload left unclamped. I only left the line with about 10 lbs of boost, and turned my timing box all the way up bout 20 feet out.

Things were goin great until I tried to lock it up. I will be pulling at the same track again in a couple weeks here, looking for suggestions. Worth running unlocked the whole way?

I have a video on my phone I can try to post if that will help. If any other info is needed, please ask.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!!!
Noah

What gear ratio is in the truck? And what gear were you in when you locked the converter?

Stock stall, ATS 5 star converter.

Stock 3.55 rear end gears. I was in drive, in 4 lo. Im not sure which gear it was in when I tried lockin it, and I've rewatched the video and cant really tell. I plan on setting up a Go Pro inside the cabin next time to video all my gauges. Poor mans data logger...

I had bald tires last year and did OK. So yeah loren, I'm wonderin if I had a problem cause of the new aired down tires.

I dont figure your going to run drive locked up with 3.55 gears, drop back to second locked.

Thanks for the replies.
Im new at this...so leave the line in 2nd and lock it up when im runnin?
Am i not gettin enough wheelspeed?

I dont plan on re-gearing as truck is still somewhat of a daily driver. If i can hit a few pulls a summer Id be happy.

And yeah gears would be pricey too. But, I plan on runnin a fuel box with the MVP next season, so that will be a bit easier on my wallet, and will definitely help with power.

Thanks for the help!

I'm surprised you can even spin that charger efficiently with only injectors and a timing box....

Would my best bet be 4-lo, 2nd gear instead of drive, lock it up when I'm 50 or so feet out?
Should I bother with airing down or adding weight?

2nd gear and lock it I ran kinda the same set up it hit 3rd and snuff till I rear geared it

I manual shift mine from 1st to 2nd then hit lockup after I shift into 2nd then unlock at the end

You kinda got to watch bumping it up to 2nd manually. If you're at too high rpms it wont shift

2nd it is.

Im also gonna yank the weight out and keep the tires aired up. We'll see what happens...

Thanks for the help guys!

Back