lockup switch

dennhop

I've been considering installing a lockup switch in my truck, but after all the searching I've done, I still have a few questions. I've seen both, where people say to not run one without billet shafts, and I've seen them installed in trucks running stock transmissions. I'm contemplating running one in my truck for pulling....I'm starting out workstock, and was trying to figure out if a lockup switch was worth it. The only mods to my tranny are a billet single goerend tc and vb.
I'm also still a little unclear on how they work, especially in a pulling application.

My other question was since my trucks a 97, I've got the dash mounted od button. If i did a lockup switch, I was wondering if it would be possible to take a shifter from a 98 and up, with the od button on he end of it, and use that button for my lockup switch. Will that shifter work in a 97, or am I looking at an entire column change?

Last edited:
i have a lockup switch on mine but i dd it and drag race. i got a garmon full billet tranny with no hickups. mine is on a switch on the dash. i always flick the switch driving around at about 45mph and when im racing i leave the line with the lockup switch on. idk if it will help with u pullin thou.

so the danger in running a lockup switch is in forgetting to turn it off before you downshift, correct?

i use mine in my 2.6 puller ive down shifted with it before. Its not the best thing to do. I normally unlock at end of a pull but i have a full built tranny. Dont recomend locking it up pulling with stock shafts.

yea it will start bucking and ****. then eventually stall the motor after a couple time u remember to unlock it lol

Ok, so ill wait till I have a full built granny to install lockup switch. Has anyone ever tried to swap shifters though, to use the od button from a 98 and up, as the lockup switch?

Just remember even the best built granny can fail leaving you with no cookies.

If you lock and unlock in the same gear you'll probably be ok. Shifting is what's hard on them, although mine doesn't bang that hard because the transmission (on my 95) is setup to shift soft, so if anything does go, it will only be clutches.

Back