Looking at a Detroit Diesel 3-53

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
Can get it real cheap- it's in a roller right now- we will be able to scrap the roller and keep the Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder...

What could be done to these to put a smallish turbo on it? Not looking for giant power.......

Anyone?

Well if it's like most Detroit Diesels they're pretty good at turning diesel into noise, but it would make for a pretty mean lawnmower.

RacinDuallie said:
Can get it real cheap- it's in a roller right now- we will be able to scrap the roller and keep the Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder...

What could be done to these to put a smallish turbo on it? Not looking for giant power.......

Anyone?

First...what are you going to do with it.

Second, build a manifold, and hang a charger on it, feeding the blower...but keep in mind, most Detroit's had a blower bypass for the charger once it spooled. I don't know if that would be a problem or not. A 3-53 should be able to make about 100-110 Engine HP IMHO. We have a 4-53 in a tractor at 110PTO, or about 130 Engine.

3-1/2" straight pipe + 2800RPM = AWESOME Our neighbors hate us:D
Chris

Was thinking on pookie-ing it up and dropping it in this 1938 dodge p/u rat rod truck me and my brother are fooling around with....

I love that 2 stroke detroit noise.... LOL

Would be neat...and probably fit the bill for a rat rod. Throw an auto behind it and it should be fairly quick too. They love to rev:D

Chris

Steps for driving a detriot 2 stroke.

1. Crank motor

2. Slam hand in vehicle door

3. Take out all anger and aggression on skinny pedal :D

Billysgoat said:
Steps for driving a detriot 2 stroke.

1. Crank motor

2. Slam hand in vehicle door

3. Take out all anger and aggression on skinny pedal :D

And if you ever need to stop in a hurry...hold a picture of a hill in front of said truck!

Chris

Signature600 said:
And if you ever need to stop in a hurry...hold a picture of a hill in front of said truck!

Chris
:hehe: Na, just drop it down some gears and smash the skinny pedal and watch the people scatter:evil :evil

We got the 3-53. It's sitting outside the shop waiting to be bought inside....:evil :evil :evil

If it ever runs away, stuff your shirt into the intake:D

Watched a guy do this at a sale once...it was December...engine still blew...he was pizzed:hehe: :hehe:

Chris

Signature600 said:
If it ever runs away, stuff your shirt into the intake:D

Watched a guy do this at a sale once...it was December...engine still blew...he was pizzed:hehe: :hehe:

Chris

Crazy stuff happens at Farm auctions :1tooth:

Nope...lots of stupid old farts who think they're diesel mechanics. The engine had a butterfly valve in the intakeLOL

At least I thought it was funny at the time!
Chris

^Ooooof.....

We ended up picking it up. Now we are on the hunt for some aluminum goodies for it.

A Detroit 3 cyl aluminum head would fill the bill right now....

A 3-53 detroit is good for two things. Noise and..... and.... ah..... I can't remember the other one.

:evilI can't wait to hear how this lil (pun intended) 2 stroke Detroit sounds with a blower and turbo and being hit with a baby shot of*nx* through some 6" stacks.....

Tree- on this ratty we will do the LPG trick in the stacks for some exhibition flame shooting.....:evil

It won't set any speed records, excluding any 3 cylinder ones:hehe: But will be a neat piece either way....

:pop:

Last edited:
:evilI can't wait to hear how this lil (pun intended) Detroit sounds with a blower and turbo and being hit with a baby shot of*nx* through some 6" stacks.....

Tree- on this ratty we will do the LPG trick in the stacks for some exhibition flame shooting.....:evil

:pop:

AWESOME!!!

I know our 4-53 sounds AWESOME at 2800RPm through a 3-1/2" x 48" turnout stack:D:D

Campers hate us at the tractors shows.
Chris

Ive been wanting to get a 12v71, make a frame and set an old car body on it with some streeeeeeeetched fenders. Cant beat that detroit sound, if mine ever happend we can make our own very convoy. Wonder if you can put a 3cyl jake on a 3 cyl engine?:evil

Back