Looking for advice

The Hill Billy

Im sure this has been gone over a few times, however my thread searching skills are not up to snuff and I am still left with questions. To start, I have a mostly stock 2001 24v, nv4500, 3.55 gears w/265 tires and an edge easy. I just ordered my gauges (boost, egt and fuel press) as I know that is always first when wanting to build your truck. I will soon be adding a leveling kit and bigger tires (probably 35s). My question is where should I go from here?

For now she is my daily driver when I go visit my kids and when the weather is too bad for the Harley. Eventually I would like to get into sled pulling, but not just yet. For now I would like to have a streetable 500 hp truck to use as something to build off of later. She barely puffs a light haze of smoke when I get on the throttle pretty good, so that leads me to believe that fuel is where I should begin.

My thoughts were to start with an airdog next, as a safety precaution to keep the vp alive. Then I was thinking about injectors and then a hot rod vp. However, how will the stock ho vp hold up with bigger injectors (around 150 hp range)? Would it be better to go with the hot rod vp before the injectors or will the airdog keep everything in line?

I was assuming that my next step would be a better tuner than the Edge EZ. I was thinking a comp, but havent really done enough research to this point as I think there are other areas of performance to address first.

And finally bringing the turbo up to speed. Is it feasible to think that since I make no smoke now, that the turbo should be the last of my worries? Should I "over fuel" the truck before I look into upgrading my turbo, or should I put the turbo at the head of the line in anticipation of the fuel system work?

I like to have a game plan laid out, and have specific goals to work towards. I appreciate all of the advise and help I may receive and look forward to learning from the pros...

trans temp gauge.....

thats the last thing you will need is a trans temp guage, but it seems your going in the right direction, for 500hp you will probably need head studs and a clutch, and other supporting upgrades to say the least.

also all it takes is money!

I'd go with a fuel system first, then get yourself an edge comp, injectors and turbo... Dont forget a clutch...

don't worry about the VP until it goes out....

fuel system first......

then a fueling box like a TST comp or FMS

..........and just because the truck doesn't smoke, doesn't mean the turbo is still on it's MAP, anything after a box and a very mild set of injectors will pull the stock charger off it's map........

then clutch......

and so on

thats the last thing you will need is a trans temp guage, but it seems your going in the right direction, for 500hp you will probably need head studs and a clutch, and other supporting upgrades to say the least.

also all it takes is money!

yea, cause i still wouldve let my trans get that hot and burn up, even if i had a gauge....:bang

Back