Looking for some education on injector / DV effects

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Trying to build a clean burning city haul and tow machine so Im looking at fueling packages for ideas on what to run with the air I have (358 / 472) and most will throw a large delivery valve in the mix. what im not sure about is, is this to keep from starving a larger injector or is it to widen the injection event in general?
I mean.. say if I put some 131 DVs in there and installed 5x.016's what would happen?
I probably read about this 10 or 20 years ago somewhere. Its not something I can remember or find now that I need it of course. :doh:

We should all agree, stock is clean.. how much power do you want your city truck to have ?

Good luck. In my opinion a "modified" clean running 12 valve is a mythological creature.
Are we talking about the 95 listed in your sig? I noticed the II turbo, did you add the compounds? If so, how clean is it now?
It's an automatic correct? That makes the clean exhaust more difficult.

The turbos should be showing up in the next week or so. Im trying to get the fueling and the other plumbing stuff together so Im not scrambling for parts while the truck is apart.
yeah I know theyre all a little smokey. I got the twins in the hopes I could lower the exhaust volume and get some extra air on the low end to play with that would make taking off from a stop a little easier. Lower timing helps a lot.
I should have 550 - 600 hp worth of air from those turbos. so maybe 5x.016 or 5x.018? not sure how large I have to go on the delivery valve to support that.
I already have a cut-out switch on the lockup converter so it doesnt lockup at low revs and smoke people out behind me. I got really fed up with that. the 4.10's and the high stall converter should help with the smoke too.
.sig says low stall and thats what I ordered but not what I got, it revs out quite a bit. and the TV valve is adjusted correctly.

Last edited:
I would recommend installing the the compound system, and leave the fuel alone until you see what difference that change makes. If you start playing with DV and injectors at the same time as other changes, you'll never know what did what, or where to start.

Fueling thats in there now is good for maybe 375hp? Maybe for a baseline, sure. Obviously thats all going to be coming out for new stuff.

Delivery valves increase quantity by keeping more fuel pressure in the line between injection events, this means that after LPC the nozzle will open sooner and after LPO the nozzle will take longer to close. By going too large you also risk secondary injections. Both the increased duration and secondary injections are counter productive to a clean running setup IMO, I'd rather increase quantity at the pump. If your goal is to keep things clean I'd stick with the 181s you have. For injectors 5x.016s should be plenty, might be able to get away with 5x.014s if you turn the pump up more.

I had the pump benched awhile back. Basically came back with stock fueling plus 3k gov springs. Cant afford to send that out for modding its really expensive. Ill go for injectors.
Honestly I kinda liked how the old 160 pump ran on this truck versus the 215 thats on it now.

You don't necessarily have to send it out, slide the plate all the way forward or take it out and do the accompanying AFC modifications. A 2095 rack plug could net you some more fuel too provided the governor allows it.

going with a 0 plate would probably be the first thing Id do after a baseline run since Im adding more air up top than its had.
Wont be able to make as much use of it without a couple more degrees of timing though.
Also need to revisit my fuel filtration and figure out what people are using for water collection on the suction side and filtration on the pressure side. Need something that can flow the quantity of fuel needed at that power level and not crack at 50psi.

Back