Looking to buy a Duramax, which one?

wilson

What year/eng model to get? I am open to any of the years from 01-07. thanks for the input.

buy one of mine I have a nice 06 EC/SB with MPI Twins and Stage 5 Suncoast and an 03 single cab long bed that is lightly modded for sale. It's an LB7 with new injectors.

buy one of mine I have a nice 06 EC/SB with MPI Twins and Stage 5 Suncoast

If only it were CC/LB...My Brother is looking for a truck, CC/LB, and I knew enough about them to stay away from the LMM...basically anything from 03-06 with under 80K is what I'm looking for for him.

Chris

Nothing wrong with the LMM besides the DPF, but thats an easy fix!

Easy fix...yes. Do I like the idea of taking it off, no. Easier to just buy an older one...and as far as I'm aware, there are no real advantages of the LMM over the LBZ??

Chris

Bump.
I'm looking to get a duramax.....and I honestly don't know much about them. What seems to be the best motor lb7,lly,lbz......I don't have the money for an lmm. I'd like to have just something to toy with. Which motors have the injector promblems, which one seems to be a good base to make 600-700 hp down the road? Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure I'll be visiting this section more often.:thankyou2:
Joe

Bump.
I'm looking to get a duramax.....and I honestly don't know much about them. What seems to be the best motor lb7,lly,lbz......I don't have the money for an lmm. I'd like to have just something to toy with. Which motors have the injector promblems, which one seems to be a good base to make 600-700 hp down the road? Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure I'll be visiting this section more often.:thankyou2:
Joe

Any year at that HP range is not safe by any means. LBZ/LMM crack pistons LB7's go through injectors, and LLY/LB7 have weaker rods than the LBZ/LMM. Some LBZ/LMM pistons last and some dont it is a crap chute(sp) Any year will do just fine at 750-800hp with a mildly built engine rods, pistons, and studs.

hey guy ive got an 06 chevy 3500 4 door loaded 4x4 everything except dvd
90% on tires there 235/85 in stead of the 215/85 which came on it bedliner i took out the goosneck hitch so i wouldnt ruin it pulling a trailer all the time 43k on miles 26 k

I would suggest 04.5 and newer . LBZ's are the best stock motors ever . The LMM's need there DPF off and then there fine.

Lb7= stong pistons, weaker rods, smaller non VGT turbo, expensive injector issues, 5 speed, no cat or egr unless its a cali truck
(
LLY = same pistons/rods as above, VGT turbo , injector issues fixed, slight heads and fuel system changes, 5speed, cat + egr added (both simple fixes)

06lly-lbz = slightly stronger rods but weaker pistons, slightly smaller turbo but same boost range, cp3 flows 8% more then older models, 6 speed trans that is slightly stronger

07.5+ same as 06+ with the addition of DPF, simple to remove can be taken care of for about 600 bucks

Lb7= stong pistons, weaker rods, smaller non VGT turbo, expensive injector issues, 5 speed, no cat or egr unless its a cali truck
(
LLY = same pistons/rods as above, VGT turbo , injector issues fixed, slight heads and fuel system changes, 5speed, cat + egr added (both simple fixes)

06lly-lbz = slightly stronger rods but weaker pistons, slightly smaller turbo but same boost range, cp3 flows 8% more then older models, 6 speed trans that is slightly stronger

07.5+ same as 06+ with the addition of DPF, simple to remove can be taken care of for about 600 bucks

I like your avatar, that girl has legs like I like, feet on one end and I'm sure **** on the other.:bang:rockwoot::woohoo::evil

Oh good summary too.:D

I like your avatar, that girl has legs like I like, feet on one end and I'm sure **** on the other.:bang:rockwoot::woohoo::evil

Oh good summary too.:D

haha thanks ken....I just like miatasLOL

everyone on DF goes nuts for my avatars though so guess im doing somethin right

I bought an 07 classic lbz in august and now im trying to sell it to buy a 4door lmm. My lbz is extended cab which i regret getting and plus i just like the nbs trucks, the truck is nice and runs very strong dont get me wrong. i just want a nbs lmm

Hey guys... I'm looking for my first diesel (new to the forum as you can see). Found the below ad, and was looking for advice...

2001 MUST SEE FULL LOADED-LT PACKAGE. This truck is mint condition, garage kept not a spec of rust! 560 HP, 1200 FT LBS torque. 200 miles on new XD series Badland wheels and Pro comp Xterrain tires! Custom painted tailgate, ranch hand bumpers to go with. 15k mi on ATS transmission w/co-pilot. EFI live with water methanol injection. DVD screen and Memphis Audio, 8 in. stainless custom exhaust, remote start, tinted windows, titanium grill, ladder bars, air dog lift pump, rhino bed liner, Firestone Air over shocks on front A-arms just put on a few days ago. Once you drive it you wont turn back! Etc.

What should I be looking to ask him based on his ad? I assume injector and pump pressure testing would be a must.

Maybe a confirmed dyno sheet?

What about the transmission? Anything good/bad with ATS?

It's probably a lot more truck than what I want. I'd just like something to tow around a 28' enclosed trailer for my drag car. But, I want something that gets decent mileage when not being used as a tow rig.

Right now, my 1/2 ton gas truck gets 15MPG city, and 7MPG when towing the empty trailer I just bought. I'm scared to see what the mileage will drop to with it loaded, hence why I'm looking at diesels.

Your thoughts and assistance are certainly appreciated.

-Newb

Back