losing lock up

TB1

Hi I need some help, while driving in 3rd or 4th with the torque converter locked up hit a large bump it will unlock let off the throttle and get on it again re locks. I have a lock up switch will not do it when the switch is on. could this be a TPS issue? or something else, bad connection ?solenoid in the trans ?. I was going to install a pot and see what that did. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks Trevor

I had some trouble out of the wiring for my turbine speed sensor that would cause a drop out after hitting a bump and also while in a wet situation. (rain/ mudhole)

Mine did the same thing. You need to adjust the brake lite switch by pulling out the contact. Push the brake pedal down, pull out the contact and slowly release brake pedal.

thanks I will try that today. Also just about rounded up the parts to change the TPS over to a potentiometer.

TPS and brake light switch will cause the converter to unlock. If the PCM is controlling the converter lockup the converter will unlock when you take your foot off of the gas pedal and the truck is coasting. It will lock up again as soon as you hit the gas again.

That's the way it should work. It sounds like it is probably working properly if you ask me. Does the cruise work correctly or cut out when you go over a bump too?

under throttle if I hit a bump it will unlock, I know if you let off and coast it will unlock. Cruise control does not work either. But when I use my lock up switch it's fine never drops out , i would guess because it's a fixed ground?

Exactly.

All that proves is that your power wire going down to the trans is good, which you knew anyway since you haven't lost OD.

I have been having the same issues. I will loss my cruise control if I hit a bump in the highway. Should I try adjusting the brake light switch? How far should I pull out the contact.

I just tried to adjust the switch it's a one shot deal, which I new from replacing it six months ago. So off to the parts store it was cheap $24, seems to be fine now. Know to figure out the cruise control issue.

I just tried to adjust the switch it's a one shot deal, which I new from replacing it six months ago. So off to the parts store it was cheap $24, seems to be fine now. Know to figure out the cruise control issue.

Probably vacuum related.
Does your heat/a/c selector work or is it stuck in defrost?

One proble with cruise is the battery above the controller and the acid from the battery eats it up.

Cruise is controlled by vacuum.

My heat /ac controls all work, I have changed all the vacuum lines I could find in the engine compartment, new brake light switch. The light on the steering wheel still comes on just no cruise. I'm thinking maybe the servo is shot under the battery.

I have been having the same issues. I will loss my cruise control if I hit a bump in the highway. Should I try adjusting the brake light switch? How far should I pull out the contact.

Pull it out a couple of clicks. You need to push the brake down to do this and slowly release brake until it touches the contact.

Back