Loss of idle temporarily - ppump

CorneliusRox

Seasoned Rookie
Any ideas? I was towing yesterday, hit some bad traffic in rush hour for an hour or so, then when I was almost to my destination I had a stop sign to stop at (fine), the next one the truck died (not fine).

--->Sorry for the long read in advance

Then it wouldn't start without some throttle.
I had to keep my foot on the throttle a little the rest of the drive there.

Some things to note are pump details:
-97 180 pump
-21deg timing
-Stock low pressure fueling
-Racked barrels
-TT adjustable return valve
-Standard AFC stuff
-Rack plug
-Haisley 4k gov springs (put on loose so I normally have a really strong idle)

The coolant temp was low ~150F (I think my tstat failed open, it's on the list).
Ambient temp was 70deg.
Fuel tank 3/4 full tank.
Pressing the primer on the mechanical lift pump felt and sounded like there was primed fuel in the system (no air).

Looking into this (an hour of messing around with ****ty tools on the side of the road):
-Shut off solenoid is in full working condition.
-Second thought was idle adjustment (maybe the bolt came loose). I checked it and adjusted until it would start without throttle and idle which left me at ~1800rpm... Also, when killing the engine at this point, it would die very slowly (like 10sec after the shut off solenoid dropped). So I brought idle back down and it'd just die without throttle again.
-I couldn't check fuel pressure on the road, but it definitely has full power. Still smokey at 40+psi (which is where it normally is).
-I misplaced my woodruff key that connects to the fuel shut off solenoid, so I was thinking maybe the shaft slipped a little bit, but then I wouldn't have full power, so I don't think that makes sense. (ordered a new key anyways)

The weirdest part of all of this is, after 30min on the road, my truck went back to normal.

Would injectors going bad cause anything like this? I am having a slightly smokey idle like I've got a bad injector, and it's probably about time to get a new set anyways.

I'm at a loss. With everything being mechanical, I'm not sure what would turn on/off with no obvious changes.
If anyone smarter than me has some opinions, please shout them out.

Last edited:
The woodruff key Cummins PN is 3920924 if anyone was interested. Took a decently long phone call to find. :Cheer:

How old/many miles is on the pump?

Just shy of 300k.
Are these just old pump symptoms? I just don't want to send it out, have it rebuilt, and then have it do this when I get it back and be out a grand and time.

Just shy of 300k.

Are these just old pump symptoms? I just don't want to send it out, have it rebuilt, and then have it do this when I get it back and be out a grand and time.

Sounds like a plunger trying to seize to me but... Hard to say.

Sounds like a plunger trying to seize to me but... Hard to say.

Yeah, that doesn't sounds fun... Maybe I'll start looking for an intermediate pump so I can send mine out.

EDIT:
Also, thinking more about it, since the plungers work like tappets riding a cam, wouldn't that just stop fuel to one cylinder and act like it's running on five cylinders?
It definitely doesn't feel like that. No extra vibration or loss of power.

Last edited:
Yeah, that doesn't sounds fun... Maybe I'll start looking for an intermediate pump so I can send mine out.

EDIT:
Also, thinking more about it, since the plungers work like tappets riding a cam, wouldn't that just stop fuel to one cylinder and act like it's running on five cylinders?
It definitely doesn't feel like that. No extra vibration or loss of power.

My one truck with sticking plunger would run on 5 cylinders with no vibration at 1800 but if let off the throttle it would drop and stall.

When you say sticking, do you mean it was seized or more like it was catching? I feel like if there was no fuel, my power would drop. Maybe I could even take temps at the outside of the exhaust ports to figure out which one?

It was catching would only let go if I shut down truck and waited you could hear a snap. Then would fuel for a plunge or two and catch again.

It was catching would only let go if I shut down truck and waited you could hear a snap. Then would fuel for a plunge or two and catch again.

Mine's definitely not doing that, but now I'm going to start keeping an eye on it. Fuel pressure is fine now, but it's not having those problems. So I guess it could be that in early stages.

Thanks for the info bud!

Back