lost my gauges tonight? and my lift pump, and idk>?

94adam89

Backwoods Dieselhead
I just p pumped my truck a few weeks ago. All has been going pretty well. I got in the truck tonight and headed down the road and realized that my guages had all quit working and it reads NO BUS, followed by the truck starting to sputter. Check my fuel pressure gauge and had no pressure at all.

Truck shuts off and I turn the key on and my pump isnt running. I ran my hot wire to the fuse box underhood and tapped into the vp44 solenoid, which is power key on and off when key off.... and has always worked well.

So I run the wire to the hot post on my battery and hit the key and all is well. It runs fine but still no gauges. I also noticed that when I turn on the key I hear 2 very loud clicking noises that I have never heard the entire time I owned the truck.....

From what I've read I should be checking grounds and so on. My only problem with the ground theory is........ IF MY LIFT PUMP SHUT OFF AND I HAD NO POWER AT THE RELAY FOR THE VP44, HOW IS EVERYONE RUNNING A VP44 STILL ABLE TO DRIVE IT, I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT IF I HAD THIS HAPPEN WHEN I HAD MY VP44 IT WOULD HAVE SHUT OFF!

Any thoughts guys.... I know this may be a fight to find this one.:stab:

second question,,,, if its the ecm what do I have to do to swap in another one? Do I have to reprogram it or what?

yeah im going to check it over tomorow after work. I know my hot post on the d side battery is shot. i was just wondering as a last ditch effort.

just curious tho if you do have to have it flashed or what?

Well iv never had one go bad but have seen one go bad. Dud had things crossed and click click buy buy Edy. Had to put in a new on
e.

Check the VCM ground to the passenger side battery, mine wiggled loose in the terminal, it shut my truck off and the odometer read no bus

Im going to check my ecm in the morning, im thinking that the way its mounted to clear my p pump that maybe its got some wires tweaked or something../????? I know I had the wiring harness stretched pretty hard to get it where I wanted it.

I hope its something easy.... I really dont need the gauges to function to make my truck run. But it would be very nice to not have to buy different gauges to mount remotely. I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks

Im going to check my ecm in the morning, im thinking that the way its mounted to clear my p pump that maybe its got some wires tweaked or something../????? I know I had the wiring harness stretched pretty hard to get it where I wanted it.

I hope its something easy.... I really dont need the gauges to function to make my truck run. But it would be very nice to not have to buy different gauges to mount remotely. I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks

Did you find your problem?

I actually didnt get a chance to check it out tonight but I did turn on the key and the odometer was actually reading numbers and not the no bus.

Kind of leaning towards bad battery post connections. I see that my drivers hot post is broken and the ground isnt very tight. I can thank MATT for that one LEE hahahahaha

I had to work on a tranny tonight, oh how I love that! but thats another story. I will check tomorow, and see what happens if I get a chance. I have an auto tranny that I have to switch the wiring harnesses on, so it may take most of the night!

I put new battery post clamps on today. And checked my grounds and onnections and still no go. Really leaning towards a bad ecm. Im thinking maybe the way i mounted it to miss my pump, that it had too much vibration?

I've got A snapo on scan tool but im not really sure it can tell me much tho if i cant communicate wih it?

do you have your lift pump tapped into the fuse box inside? Ive got a 24V here now for all the same reasons and I found a blown fuse inside the truck where he tapped his lift pump into. He ruined his VP though because he lost power to the lift pump too long. It would be the same difference on a p-pump truck though with the gauges.

I run it to the underhood to the relay that controlsfuel shut off and turn on for the vp. Ive noticed that thAt that relay dosnt have anypower now. And a few others have lost power too!

Welp! Its been a while. Been tinkering a little and found nothing.

2 new batteries. All my fuses are good and relays. I checked n all my grounds are hooked up and clean. Im thinking i lost the ecm! Should i pull the gauges and check the connection? Im starting to get upset. Oh and does anyone know if a gas trucks gauge cluster will work in place of the diesel gauges? I ask because i would like the bigger tach gauge. Thanks

Gas cluster works no problem. Doesn't have the wait to start light, though. I can't help you with the rest.

Thanks tate. I thought so but i wasnt positive. I checked grounds again. No luck. What is the loud click i hear everytime i turn on the key? Sounds like the starter solenoid almost. Much louder than a regular relay! I cant pin point the noise myself.

Well after a little reading im thinking that it could be the pcm giving me a fit. Im saying this because ive read that the pcm regulates when the alternater runs. My alternater isnt charging so maybe that is part of my problem?

Back