Loud popping sound coming from front end

dieselracer07

Well fellas, I've been trying to track this issue down and have had no luck so far. I'll list what's done to the suspension and brake system first. I have all new Moog T-style steering components, new Moog ball joints, new Precision hub assemblies, new rotors and pads and calipers, BD adjustable track bar, BD steering box brace, Dual steering stabilizers, all new Urethane bushings, and a 2" Daystar leveling kit. Now for the issue.... There is a very loud POP sound that seems to come from the front left side when straightening out from a left hand turn, occasionally happens at low speed if I brake hard, and very rarely happens when the transmission is cold and has a very firm shift to 2nd gear. Pretty much everything is new on this front end, I'm tired of chasing my tail on this issue. Anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my paperweight

Just some ideas have you checked the front pinion bearing, u-joints, steering shaft joint, are the steering box bolts tight???

Just some ideas have you checked the front pinion bearing, u-joints, steering shaft joint, are the steering box bolts tight???

I doesn't have a front driveshaft in now, so that part can be ruled out. The u-joints on the axle shafts seemed fine when I had them out the other week. Pinion and gears all looked fine and it didn't seem like the bearing had any issues.

Sent from my paperweight

It doesn't have a front driveshaft in now, so that part can be ruled out. The u-joints on the axle shafts seemed fine when I had them out the other week. Pinion and gears all looked fine and it didn't seem like the bearing had any issues. All steering box bolts are tight and the pitman arm is fine.

Sent from my paperweight

Sent from my paperweight

Well.... was the pop before or after all the new parts and leveling kit?

I hardly drove the truck when I bought it almost a year ago. Within a few days of buying it, it was tore down to bare frame and the rebuilding process started. I just recently started driving it.

Sent from my paperweight

Track bar bolt on the frame side. Mine kept coming loose when I switched to a 3rd gen Thuren track bar and would make a really loud pop when turning left or right when driving slow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Track bar bolt on the frame side. Mine kept coming loose when I switched to a 3rd gen Thuren track bar and would make a really loud pop when turning left or right when driving slow.

I'll recheck it tomorrow, but everything seemed tight when I looked it over the other day. I've been checking and rechecking everything for 3 weeks and just can't seem to find it.

Sent from my paperweight

Are the coils and spacer's seated correctly?

Not on a Dodge, but when we converted my buddies Superduty from two wheel to 4x4 the track bar bracket would not stay tight at all, ended up putting some weld on it.

Hmm. The last time I tightened mine I ended up using a breaker bar and pushing against the wheel to get it tight enough so it wouldn't ever come loose again. My truck needs a steering box bad and when that bolt comes loose its honestly dangerous to drive the truck down the street.

Are the coils and spacer's seated correctly?

Not on a Dodge, but when we converted my buddies Superduty from two wheel to 4x4 the track bar bracket would not stay tight at all, ended up putting some weld on it.

Coils and spacers seem to be perfect. I may unbolt everything tomorrow and reinstall it all again slowly to be sure.

Sent from my paperweight

Maybe post a video so we can hear the pop?

If you have a go pro, you could mount it up front to watch/listen to everything.

Last edited:
Maybe post a video so we can hear the pop?

If you have a go pro, you could mount it up front to watch/listen to everything.

I wish I had a go pro lol. I'll try to get someone to shoot a video tomorrow while I cut the wheel. It will do it while parked while turning the steering wheel. It's loud enough that I can hear it over the 12v engine, 5" exhaust, and music playing.
Sent from my paperweight

I wish I had a go pro lol. I'll try to get someone to shoot a video tomorrow while I cut the wheel. It will do it while parked while turning the steering wheel. It's loud enough that I can hear it over the 12v engine, 5" exhaust, and music playing.
Sent from my paperweight

That's gotta be one loud a$$ pop..... LoL

My track bar bolt was just barely loose and will make loud pop when turned left/right.

Check/tighten all your suspension/steering fasteners.

Well the track bar bolt at the axle was just barely loose. When I tried to tighten it, the metal tab on the nut popped off. I wound up tack welding the bolt. So far I haven't heard the noise.

Sent from my paperweight

Glad it ended up being pretty much a free fix. Usually loud noises in the front end are very expensive to fix haha

Glad it ended up being pretty much a free fix. Usually loud noises in the front end are very expensive to fix haha

I spoke too soon lol. It does it just not as frequent.

Sent from my paperweight

Big ass parking lot and drive figure 8's. Have someone stand and listen.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Back