Lowered Compression

Whizzbang

What exactly is the benefit of lowering compression? What is the lowest you can go? I know that really low compression trucks have to be started with ether but didn't know all the benefits and/or risks(if any) of lowering compression? Thanks

I believe there is also a slight drop in drive pressures also... but I think its done just to get more air and fuel in the cylinder mainly.

Lower Compression means less stress on the internal components. Realize that when people are lowering their compression, they are adding more fuel and more air. This means, more pressure when they ignite. Lowering the compression will help from preventing head gasket failure and does reduce EGT’s (only slightly but when you add more air and fuel, you counter that).

How much lower can you go, well depends on what you want to do. 14 to 1 on a dodge, seems to start ok and work on. Lower than that, and you will probably need some Ether. On a Ford a Duramax, I don't have a clue. I know a few fords running 15 to 1 and they start fine, but outside of that, who knows.

We are running 14.5 in Black Ice. The damn thing was a beast to start no matter what the temp was until we got this new cam in it. Now it only needs a little sniff of ether sometimes as long as it's about 70 degrees.

Yes it was a vp converted to p pump with a big cam now it's back to a vp truck. grid heaters aren't hooked up so it has a little trouble starting. it didn't want to start today! It doesn't hurt it to lower the compression on a vp does it?

yeah it had a big p pump on it last year but decided to drop it back a notch so you can drive it on the street every now and then. It's not lowered to crazy much just enough for the cam. my CR has the pistons fly cut. I was gonna go with a big cam but went with the street cam instead mine aren't vut that much though very little. Runs lower egts though.

so how low before it really starts puffin the white smoke at idle or is alot of that in the pump and such?

My truck has stock 16.3 or .7. It will huff the white when its below 40 and cold. Has a constant haze right now. I think timing causes most of it, lower compression does it too.

Back