Lowering a SFA 4x4

oldestof11

Drag racer
Well... I have this idea in my head about lowering my 4x4. Things that immediately come to mind are a custom oil pan and a new front cross member. Now here is where I am thinking up something...

Now I have leaf springs but would want to change that. I want a good ride but not worry about bottoming out the axle on to the oil pan/cross member. How much travel would be best for the springs?

Also the shocks. Thinking a cantilever/rocker arm setup to be able to use a stock shock but having it not bottom out. This way you can also change the ratio to what you need it for. For those who need a picture, think of your valves rocker arm. There would be a rod connected to where the shock would be going up to a triangle. 1 point the triangle would be the pivot point, 1 would be the axle side rod, the last one would connect to the shock which runs paralell to the frame.

Thoughts? This is the stuff I think of when bored during the winter.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

DD or race truck??

I have thought about it, if I had a 4wd race truck. LOL

but a four link out back and a ladder bar up front would be sweet.

your over thinking it. just cut the the bottom leaf spring in the front back about 3 inches so it doesnt wrap around the axle bracket. in the rear just remove the blocks nd main lieaf or 4 link it and run coil overs.....yo could run coil overs in the front as well if you really wanted too

Last edited:
This will be daily driver.

I thought about coilovers but they are expensive. The rear I am not worried about, it's the front.

I don't have a lot of money. I do have some raw stock (aluminum and steel) laying around and access to a machine shop.

I want to still have 3 or so inches of travel but don't want to go too extreme of moving the engine which would require everything behind and in front of it modded also.

I want to still have 3 or so inches of travel but don't want to go too extreme of moving the engine which would require everything behind and in front of it modded also.y

Up travel or all travel?

I'm having a hard time picturing things (haven't really been under a 1st gen 4x4 Cummins) that might hit and what would be a clearance issue. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the general area. Might spark an idea with others as well.

On a side note; a featured truck in Diesel Power in the latest issue was a 98 Dodge Cummins race truck. It's a blue and white 4wd that sits really low. They showed one picture of the front suspension with the tire off. Rack & pinion steering, 5 lug, etc.. Gosh it was sick!! It's not on there web sight yet though.

Up travel.

I saw that truck. Have the mag at home.

There is about 3" between the front crossmember and the top of the axle tube. I will get pics later. Currently I have a positive arch to my springs with no lift so I have quite a bit more than most. :hehe:

Back