Lowering my truck

CookCR

Finally decided to lower my truck, I've done some searches but still have some questions. I'm wanting to take my front down about 1 1/2". I plan on cutting the coil, but I'm not sure weather to cut the bottom or top, I would assume the top? Also how much should I be whacking the coil, I was thinking one coil would probably get me where I want? I'm also wanting to drop the rear to match the front. I was thinking of pulling all but two springs, which I've heard will help me at the track with some weight transfer. I'm trying to get this done ASAP, is it all right to use factory length shocks, or will they not work out? Any opinions/thoughts would be welcome.

I can't offer an opinion, but I can offer to lend a hand. Let me know if you need any help.

start with half a coil...better to cut too little and redo it than cut too much and be effed.

there is a thread or two floating around here.
CompD Mobile Device

For the rear, I re stacked with the factory spacer blocks on top of the leaf, reusing the factory U bolts. That brought me level with the factory front coils. Stock shocks would probably work, but I'm using a set of RS9000's that are about an inch shorter. Don't remember the exact application; I think it was an F450 2wd??

I haven't cut coils or removed leafs yet. Coming from a 2" leveling kit, down to factory front height and leveled gave me enough... for now.

As SHughes said, cut less then check your ride height. You can always cut more...

I did the same as Amish. The sit is decent but I'm thinking one or two rear leafs would benefit it.

You're going about it backwards... drop the rear to where you want it, then lower the front to match.

Simply cutting coils may not be the best route.

XLR8R, now that you mention it I suppose i am going about it ass backwards. I know that I only want two leafs in the rear for drag racing, so I should have done that first. I would love to hear what other people have done. I'm going to be lazy and chop the coils first since their apart anyways and hope I get it right. Anyone care to chime in, anyone that's chopped coils anyways. It would help a great deal to get some idea as to what will get the job done. Also, as I mentioned before, should I cut the top or bottom of the coils? I'll see you tomorrow Stainless!

top or bottom depends on which will fit back into the spring pocket the best...maintain the shape of the spring.

NEVER use a torch to cut coils, effs up the spring qualitise and they will break..use a simple cutoff wheel. sawzall could work, but might take longer.

In the gasser world, half a coil drops it ROUGHLY 1/2". i have never cut diesel coils so i like to add the gasser disclaimer. LOL
CompD Mobile Device

Be careful taking out leafs in the back, your axle wrap will be greatly increased!

Back