Mahle Monotherms,2 years later.

I think that would Be "Keaton" Shelly. Some folks call him by his name, Keating Shelly, but the Aledo area of Texas tends to not get it right.

John, those pistons look familiar for some reason. There simply is no replacement for a quality part. WIth the beating those have taken, they are well worth the investment.

You will find the same piston in every new Mack and Volvo Class 8 engine. A very nice piston indeed. We try to break them everyday with no luck yet.

Couple years ago I begged everyone I could find at Mahle to make me a set for my 7.3L. They refused, else I'd be running a set in my DD.

When I start seeing rod caps pulling off, cap bolts breaking or rods tearing apart I'll worry about the weight.

Since all the failures are from the rods doing their best impression of a horseshoe I think the compressive force is the problem, not the inertial.

Steel pistons are where it's at. Let the valves/turbine wheel be the weak link.

lol.

I think that would Be "Keaton" Shelly. Some folks call him by his name, Keating Shelly, but the Aledo area of Texas tends to not get it right. I HAVE GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS AREA! I'm tired of getting lumped in with everyone else. John and Greg are cramping my style! Can I come to Central Texas Tim?

John, those pistons look familiar for some reason. There simply is no replacement for a quality part. WIth the beating those have taken, they are well worth the investment.

Mahle has always been a first class manufacturer. I'm a big enough fan of their stuff I named my dog Mahle!
0923091540.jpg

Couple years ago I begged everyone I could find at Mahle to make me a set for my 7.3L. They refused, else I'd be running a set in my DD.

When I start seeing rod caps pulling off, cap bolts breaking or rods tearing apart I'll worry about the weight.

Since all the failures are from the rods doing their best impression of a horseshoe I think the compressive force is the problem, not the inertial.

Steel pistons are where it's at. Let the valves/turbine wheel be the weak link.

lol.

roger that, steel pistons make me drool

The beauty of steel, is that its not made of aluminum.
We always upgrade the ISX overhauls in our shop to the Monotherm. Piece of mind is priceless.

the ~$3600 is a lot cheaper than a ~$10-12g rebuild.

Nice pistons... Thanks for the info, John.

Damn those are stout pistons. may be a little too steap on price for a dd

not bad insurance for a rig that tows heavy all the time... you start to hang an injector going up a grade, your pyro may never show an issue, and by the time you crest the top, you've got a reconfigured piston and a lot of blowby :)

Agreed, I'd like to know about them too, John has beat the crap out of that motor and is now using the same pistons for the rebuild, that's good enough for me.

Jim

X2, I stuck a injector when I blew a solenoid off, and the monotherms took it like a champ.

I modified my pistons so that I could spray oil inside the skirt rather than outside the skirt.

P1030295.jpg

P1030290.jpg

P1030308.jpg

Back