Making a draw bar hitch. Advise, opinions, pics

IMG_20131113_184850_105_zps1c54c3ce.jpg

Your truck did so well at TS. Why do you want to change that setup?

I feel i can do the same if not better on certain tracks with a draw bar setup. Theres always room for improvement. Lol i wanna try n finish with all the longer wheel base trucks all the time.

Evan Smoot did it so I'm sure it can be done. I'm in the same boat (rclb)

Get the front-most crossbar as high as possible. In hindsight, I would have chopped the bedfloor on ours instead of keeping it in the frame. It probably doesn't have as good affect as you think unless it is at the maximum angle allowed. (25*) Even though the rules say entire bed floor must be intact, I have seen trucks with the floor notched out for the hitch bar only. That's a nice setup JL

Ok where or how do u decide on where to put the front cross piece? Right above the rear end, jus before it or in front?

In line above the rear axle. Most rules do not allow any part of the hitch forward of the axle.

JL Builders is your hitch at the maxium angle (25*) and 26" high? Nice setup on the hitch btw. Is it also worth it to make a set of bars that go from the rear axle to rear most spot of the frame? To limit flex behind the rear axle. Since the places I run tells us we can't weld the rear in solid yet.

was giving it some more thought and does anyone think that maybe it would make the frame to stiff if i were to tie the traction bars to the frame as in weld vertical pieces from the track bar the the bottom of the frame?

also on doing a solid rear setup, whats the best way to figure how far from the bottom of frame to top of axle to go?

would tying my track bars into the bottom of my frame be a bad idea?

Seems like more and more guys are doing that. I haven't saw a standard cab that way yet though. Your talking kinda like Clint Corwins setup aren't you?

Back