making more power? an odd question

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
Got into work today, opened my email and got this one from a friend that works here. I honestly don't even know where to start.. Anyone have any knowledge on how to do this?

"A friend of mine (Nick Nesland) who owns Hydraulic Repair and Design asked me if I know of any tricks to boost one of his hyd pump test stands up to 700 hp momentairly so he can validate a pump he is currently rebuilding. The pump is off one of those enormous mining shovels and to verify the pump makes peak pressure he either has to modify one of his existing test stands or build a new one. His two biggest test stands have 430 horse Cummins engines in them. One is a N14-430E (date of mfg: 5-1991) and the 2nd is a ntc-400 (date of mfg: 6-1987). Building a new test stand will be very expensive (basically buy a 700 hp motor, cooling system, 1000 gallon hyd resevoir and so on) so spending some money isn’t going to be a big deal but I don’t know if it is possible to get one of these old engines to hit the 700 hp mark. It does not have to maintain that power for very long, just long enougth to verify the pump makes peak pressure. Do you know of any tricks that he could try?

Propane and/or nitrous injection along with turning up the fuel pressure maybe?

Thanks,
"

I forget the gentlemans name, but he has a company and a website that deals with these big motors, which are usually referred to as "250hp" and "350hp" if memory serves.

With very minor mods, he is getting 700hp outa these motors

so if ya did a search for 250hp cummins you might find him, if someoen else doesnt chime in on this with the correct info for you

Button, 380 spring, larger pump shaft 3/4 to 7/8, timing set to 50 at the cam followers, larger injectors for flow and less pressure on the injector pushtube, h4c charger or twins, watermeth to keep it cool. That should be a good start with decent results.

Thanks guys. I let him know about the link and the info. I'll have to wait and see what comes from this :poke:

Button, 380 spring, larger pump shaft 3/4 to 7/8, timing set to 50 at the cam followers, larger injectors for flow and less pressure on the injector pushtube, h4c charger or twins, watermeth to keep it cool. That should be a good start with decent results.

You're a MAD MAN! :Cheer:

Back