Making your own head studs?

yes arp is 220,000 from what I remember.

Heres my thinking, most people arent going to need the ultimate holding power, just something more than stock head bolts. I know on my isuzu I have ran waaayyy over 60psi (pegged the gauge several time, I estimate 80psi or so), the head gasket held up to around 50psi many times but popped after pegging the gauge out a few times. So wouldnt some of these cap head bolts in a 14mm instead of 12mm be plenty (in theory) for an engine going to about 60psi or so? I understand this has alot to do with engine tune and other things.

yes arp is 220,000 from what I remember.

Heres my thinking, most people arent going to need the ultimate holding power, just something more than stock head bolts. I know on my isuzu I have ran waaayyy over 60psi (pegged the gauge several time, I estimate 80psi or so), the head gasket held up to around 50psi many times but popped after pegging the gauge out a few times. So wouldnt some of these cap head bolts in a 14mm instead of 12mm be plenty (in theory) for an engine going to about 60psi or so? I understand this has alot to do with engine tune and other things.

What is the current grade of the bolt you are using? I have found that fastenal has a 14.9 grade bolt that is NOT stainless (stainless is too brittle [sp?] for what we are doing). That and they can roll the threads instead of cut them. I am personally going to try to make my own studs. I don't plan on going over 50psi, but I also don't trust my stock head bolts... I never have liked the idea of a torque to yeild bolt :doh:

I have seen the 14.9 from fastenal but is it available in a 12mm? I didnt notice one the other day but I was only on their site for a minute. Are you saying they will make studs or bolts or you?

I have seen the 14.9 from fastenal but is it available in a 12mm? I didnt notice one the other day but I was only on their site for a minute. Are you saying they will make studs or bolts or you?

Yes, they have 12mm and will make them to your exact length and everything. Already asked them about all that. Now I am just gaging interest locally to get a group buy on them. I think the only thing that's gonna run up the price for you is the limited quantity you need. Unless you can find others that are bombing those 3.9 Isuzu diesels that could use studs :Cheer:

Back