Manual to Auto after Ppump swap

DansDieselp24v

I have searched all over and have found some answers but still confused on a few things. Everybody seems to be going from an auto to a manual, not from a manual to an auto. My buddy just bought 1996 12v ext. cab long bed auto, supposedly built but no paperwork only that it shifts hard, and he was told it had a Suncoast triple disc converter and a billet input. He is wanting my nv5600 out of my 2001 ext. cab short bed. I’ve found most of the answers to his swap which is pretty straight forward I think. But for me to swap his 47re into my truck what is needed? I believe I need an auto pcm from an 2001, I know rear drive shafts will be different, and for the transfer cases can I keep mine and just have a new shaft put in or should we swap those also? Since it is just a weekend toy, I plan on running a fmvb so I’m not sure what else electronically ill need due to having the ppump swap. It will be going to reputable shop to be built or found out how "built" it already is. Im just seeing what I need to get started. Any info is much appreciated!

It would be easier and further ahead if you guys just swapped the t cases along with the transmissions. You could always go with a full manual valve body and not bother with all the electronics... besides that option, you would need to get either a stand alone controller or a pcm from an auto.

Perfect! We will plan on swapping t-cases also. In doing that im assuming we will swap front drive shafts also? What kind of standalone would you recommend? Something like the Anteater from firepunk??

front shaft should be the same. i'd recommend the anteater from firepunk.by the time you roundup the harness and computer and get everything working you'll be further ahead to get the anteater. on top of that you can then control all your shift points and have 3 differant tunes to run on the fly

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Okay it sounds like that's the route I'll be headed. For tranny coolers I was thinking a dual cooler setup in the bed or mounted at an angle where the spare tire used to be. Which is better BD or Derale? I dont plan on using a factory cooler or heat exchanger unless they are absolutely needed.

Derale 15870 has the highest btu removal. I'm using that along with a B&m 70266 up front in the oem location. The heat exchangers are good, but can crack and fill your transmission with coolant. I wouldn't Mount it in the bed unless it's a dedicated race truck, you never know when you'll need the bed space. There's room under the bed on the passenger side to mount it, no need to remove the spare

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Okay Ill have to check them out. Do you have them hooked up with just an on/off switch or is there a thermostat where they automatically turn on? Good point on not mounting them in the bed, Ive seen some mounts under the bed and where you are talking about and I think that's the route I'm gonna go.

Don't forget about the speedometer differences.
Mainly that the early one has a speed sensor on the t-case and the late one reads it at the axle. You can't change them around, either.
Your ECM on your engine will need re-calibrated, as well.

In truth, you're looking at creating a nightmare.

Mark.

Last edited:
Good point, I didn't even think about the speedo. If I got the correct ecm/pcm for an auto for an 01 and get the corresponding plug to make the speedo read correct would that work? Thanks for the input.

There's an in line thermostat you can buy extra that will turn the fan on at 170 or you can run it off a switch.up to you

There's an in line thermostat you can buy extra that will turn the fan on at 170 or you can run it off a switch.up to you

Okay thanks. I did some looking and I think I'm gonna go with the derale 15870 that you recommended and their thermostat.

Turns out that the tranny is 47rh, not a 47re like we thought.. :doh: Don't know if that makes a difference on the wiring of things like the speedo or needing a standalone. Since I can get it for cheap would it still be worth messing with??

I would wait for an RE and go the anteater route. You'll be way ahead doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back