Manual to auto conversion. Oil cooler options?

SPEEDSHIFT

I am about to start a manual to auto conversion on my 05 from an early 07 truck, but I do not want to reuse the factory block mounted water to oil cooler as its a big PITA that I would rather not deal with. I was thinking about just using the front mount air to oil cooler with custom lines. Is there anyone running like this? Towing with it? I guess I could mount another external cooler with a fan like Ty did... just didnt know if I can get by with only one cooler for now.

i did my auto conversion back in the spring and i am just running the factory cooler behind the intercooler, i tow 5 days a week and everything has been good so far.

If the Tranny fluid is getting cooled by 190* antifreeze you have big issues. I think its primary purpose is to warm the ATF during the winter.

I can see its purpose in assisting the warm up of the transmission. It would have been better if DC had used some sort of thermostat though.

Last edited:
We have a customer running 1/2'' lines from the trans to the factory cooler up front in hauls daily. No problems with his. We had the local napa store make the trans line's or you can get them with and fitting at TSC also.

Jeplin, who did you get a trans tune from? or what did you do? I have been thinking of doing this myself...

Jeplin, who did you get a trans tune from? or what did you do? I have been thinking of doing this myself...

It is a working progress on the trans tune but, it did come with a base tune from suncoast.

Wow, nice!! What model did you go with? 48 I would assume? I think about swapping all the time. Keep us updated!

Back