Manual to auto trans swap

Jkirts379

I've got a 2002 dodge 2500 4x4 24v I'm Wantin to do a manual to auto trans swap. I've got a 47re with trans case ECM n PCM that was with that trans, front drive shaft, n all the wiring harness, kick down cable, steering colum. Wat am I missing to do this job right n clean? I also will have all my manual parts for sell. got a fresh rebuilt dual disk clutch from haisely, nv4500 with 1 3/8 shaft, two brand new hydro upgrades one still in box, and new rebuilt front drive shaft

^^^ the above, along with trans lines, heat exchanger (if desired), rear slip yoke, your rear driveshaft shortened ~2". You'll need to wire in the NSS in place of your clutch switch to start and use cruise. Also need the plastic plug that goes where the clutch cylinder went through the firewall

Last edited:
I was told since I got a long bed my drive shaft will fit. Trans lines I'm doin an after market cooler since I'm buildin the trans. N I was told the rear back plate of the motor is the same too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told since I got a long bed my drive shaft will fit. Trans lines I'm doin an after market cooler since I'm buildin the trans. N I was told the rear back plate of the motor is the same too?

Trans adapter is different.

Stupid question. What makes the adapter plates different? My 47re bolted right up to my 5 speed plate.

Stupid question. What makes the adapter plates different? My 47re bolted right up to my 5 speed plate.

I went from nv5600 to 47re. I believe it was just bolt pattern and possibly a few other minor things. if im incorrect, i changed it for no reason.

I was thinking I looked them up on Cummins Quikserve. The 5 speed and auto adapter plates are the same part number. I never checked the 6 speeds.

Im almost certain the bolt pattern was different with the 6 speed... I could be wrong tho. That was 2 years ago, and I been drinkin.

The adapter from my truck had a different number than the truck I swapped with, so we swapped to be safe

The boss where the starter mounts is taller on the manual trans plates.

The boss where the starter mounts is taller on the manual trans plates.

On mine, it's just a plastic spacer, not a boss. I have heard that before though, more often with newer 3rd gens though.

Back