Manual trans install issues, hard reverse, throttle sticking

rattlindodge

The trans(nv4500,1995) w/235kish miles was just installed into a 96 auto truck(170k). Now reverse is hard to get into, and now throttle sticks at times at wot. The truck only has a slid fuel plate but a stuck throttle is no good, also noticed it sticks wide oped when truck isnt running.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're missing or need a new throttle return spring. Next time you need to use reverse try shifting into a forward gear and then into reverse and see if that makes it easier.

Could be a torn up throttle cable. I had that happen on my 24v, likes to hang wide open, just normal driving it wouldn't do it. I always hit 4th before reverse in the NV. Actually, I hit 2nd now all the time because I'm used to my G56 and habit is left and down for reverse.

Does make a difference going into a foward gear first, so why is that. My other 5 speed truck goes straight into reverse. So i guess i will go research throttle return spring unless anyone has a good link?

Also got no cruise control, cant remember if it had it before the auto-manual swap. And sounds like i got some bearing noise, fahq.

I wouldn't stress over the reverse thing so much, a lot of people have to shift to a forward gear and back to reverse, it might be related to the clutch seeing that some posts on here and CF report it after a clutch change. As for the bearing noise it's hard to tell what it is without a little more description, but a lot these transmissions also make a bearing noise or growl at low rpm in 5th gear.

- throttle cable
- did you actually re-attach the cruise control (or reconnect the electrical, etc.)?

Mine has always been a little stiff toget into reverse but with the DD its real bad, but like stated before go 4th then reverse. And my throttle was sticking, and i took off the cable and oiled it, it fixed the problem but man is the throttle insanely touchy now! lol

We installed an organic dual disc rated for 500hp towing, im ok with the reverse now, but the bearing noise is kinda chitty, you hear it alot on deacceleration in gear, but throw it into neutral and back into same gear and it doesnt make the noise. I guess this truck has never had a working cruise control, but whats invloved from the manual swap to make it work(electical wise).

Back