Massey 98

Ram12vcummins

Looking for a Massey 98 tractor. Let me know if you kno where there is one. Has a 3-71 Detroit in it.

Detroit a make or break thing? I know where one is, don't think it's a Detroit though, or if he'd sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Depends on shape of tractor on what I'd spend. There isn't many around but they also aren't rare sports cars lol

The Detroit isn't make or break. I could find a motor somewhere. That's the engine they came with.

Depends on shape of tractor on what I'd spend. There isn't many around but they also aren't rare sports cars lol

The Detroit isn't make or break. I could find a motor somewhere. That's the engine they came with.

They built 398 of them, that's rare in tractors in a time where certain models were built in numbers ranging from 200-250K.

We have one, that could be for sale. I'll get you a price.

Chris

Yes it is a rare tractor. I thought there was just a touch over 500 made from what I have read. For being low numbers it's surprising how many I've heard of being "around" here. Thanks I'd appreciate that.

I'm wrong, it's a 97, not a 98 that he has.

I have one, hope the one you find has grills in the front of it. Dang things are near impossible to find!

Nothing like the screaming sound of a 3-71

Edit: I just remembered there being a really nice one for sale on mansfield ohio craigslist. I think they wanted 20?

Last edited:
Thanks Chris I'll do some thinking on that. Where are you located?

Ya I would prefer to restore one myself but I'm not gonna be picky. I wonder if other grills off like a 99 or 97 would be similar?

Ohio...this one is pretty straight, but is an old repaint I believe. Will need restored if that is what you want.

Runs out strong though.

Grill screens are different, but I'll measure the Super 95 and 97 and make sure. We have them all.
Chris

Buy Chris's, if for no other reason than to see the collection, it's really cool!

Lol I wouldn't get to see the collection I'd prob just get it shipped if that's the way I went. 16,500 is roughly 21,000 up north which from the ones I've seen some for sale would be about priced for a completely restored one. Not that it means anything with these machines. I've paid more than I thought I would have for a Massey . They are my weakness

He could always put some pictures of his collection in here when he gets a couple pics of his 98 for me
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Is this the one?

[ame="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/06DIESEL/media/Mayer%20Tractor%20Collection/P8100138.jpg.html"]P8100138.jpg Photo by 06DIESEL | Photobucket[/ame]

Lol I wouldn't get to see the collection I'd prob just get it shipped if that's the way I went. 16,500 is roughly 21,000 up north which from the ones I've seen some for sale would be about priced for a completely restored one. Not that it means anything with these machines. I've paid more than I thought I would have for a Massey . They are my weakness

He could always put some pictures of his collection in here when he gets a couple pics of his 98 for me
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He has a thread here of his collection (well part of it anyway) very impressive to say the least, you should check it out. Believe the thread is titled "our collection" if I'm not mistaken.

null_zps2f2ee63a.jpg

Good to see another Massey fan!

He has a thread here of his collection (well part of it anyway) very impressive to say the least, you should check it out. Believe the thread is titled "our collection" if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, but as he'll tell you, it's constantly changing. But probably the coolest part is the "guided tour" aspect of it, he knows so much about each piece, it's really cool.

Sharp looking tractors. I'll try find the thread of his collection. I don't know a pile about the "newer" Massey's lol everything I have is older than 1960.

Here's the nicest one I've got. I restored it the week before my weddding so me and the wife could drive it away lol

a774ba2f5279e5eac60f63b6fa0b7fb6.jpg

12c31676d21238b7eeb08381ca6d9d6b.jpg

48ffd72954e26c7a9a40929f6d603738.jpg

Back