Matte Candy Paint

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
I got a quote today on painting my truck a matte candy red using house of kolor paints and clears and was curious what others would value a paint job like this at.

The truck will be lowered down and running drag radials with a sport bumper and roll pan as opposed to the setup in the picture but this is the truck:
Picture014.jpg

And this is the color I was quoted on:
photo1_zps7bbade37.jpg

The quote included wet sanding of the current silver and painting the firewall and interior.

So what would y'all value a paint job as such to run? Just curious to see where abouts his price stands

Between bed & cab? Inside bed? Any body work besides scarifying the existing paint & blasting over it? You prepping the truck (removing mirrors, antenna, trim, taping off things, etc)?

Prices seem to vary WIDELY. If its not for a "friends price", I'm guessing $7500+?

Last edited:
That's probably at the low side being a candy. Up here it would be closer to $15k.

By the way nice color choice.

Last edited:
All the sanding will be done by them. The mirrors and such will be removed prior to painting as the truck is gutted right now. Being a race truck the inside of the bed will be gutted otherwise everything else will be painted.

The quote I got of $6500 seems pretty good which is what I figured anyways

The existing paint will be wet sanded and a light coat of base silver will be sprayed over the existing silver as a base

I'd say it's a pretty good price to paint the whole truck like that. I had just a little less than that in mine but I two toned my truck and only the top part was candy. I'd say if I did the whole truck candy I would've had about what you were quoted in it.

I'll post pictures when done but it could be a long time from now as I still have a lot of work to do before I get to that point.

I'm normally not a fan of red, but that effect is what sold me on it

That's pretty cool! I bet that'd be a cool effect with just about any of dodges original colors.. Including the orange

$6500 is fair. Candy is not always an easy deal. It can be hard to spray. In fact, I think the job in the picture looks like garbage. Maybe it is just the picture but it looks blotchy(which can be a characteristic of candy if not done well)

Talk to some other painters about house of kolor paint. I talked with a guy from St Louis who was having his car pics taken for a magazine in out parking lot at work during the street rod nationals. He said the HOK was a good paint for a show car, but did not do good on a daily driven, that sees alot of sun.

That may just have been his opinion, so you might talk to some other painters about it.

its not just HOK, all candies esp. reds bleed pigment in the sun. best thing is to not skimp on clear use a good high solids urethane clear from a reputable mfg. everyone will have their own opinion on what that is.

that being said if you are gonna drop the coin for candy let that bisch shine!!! if not just wrap it and you can get pretty much the same effect.

Last edited:
Back