max HP numbers out of a stock truck

SuperDutyDon

rock super star
What can you expect out of a stock truck with tunes when coming to the max level that the parts can operate at. Like the turbo and injectors.

What is the max injector size you could run without over running what the stock turbo can keep up with.

Last but not least the most important thing is the trans.

Transmission is the last thing you have to worry about. An injector that is modded to about 150ish or 160ish or whatever the builder wants to label them as for not modifying the plunger. Will give you more than the factory turbo can support. You will be sitting at about 450 to 470hp.

I agree, the trans is the last thing you should have to worry about. As for the stock injectors and stock turbo. I feel like the turbo is already having enough trouble keeping up with the stock injectors. Reason being, if it wasn't then you wouldn't be able to spray a little nitrous and get big results out of it. So obviously the turbo is not efficient as it needs to be with just a tuner by itself. I believe on average for horse power is 420 +/-. Some have seen right at 450Hp.

With the mods in my sig minus the 03 turbo, Spearco, and lift/tires I put down 425 hp and 795 rwtq at Kauffman Automotive (which is now SGS) in Dillsburg, PA with Dave Guy doing the seat time.

*EDTI* Just noticed I forgot to mention my SCT with IDP tunes.

Last edited:
With the mods in my sig minus the 03 turbo, Spearco, and lift/tires I put down 425 hp and 795 rwtq at Kauffman Automotive (which is now SGS) in Dillsburg, PA with Dave Guy doing the seat time.

*EDTI* Just noticed I forgot to mention my SCT with IDP tunes.

So, u put down that much with just a Tuned SCT, straight pipe & Big mouth?
WOuld my 03 do better with its turbo, is it better?

then whats the deal with em? why do i keep hearing of people switching to them?:what:

the high pitched whistle sound, they are MUCH louder than the 04+ trucks.

WOuld my 03 do better with its turbo, is it better?

All depends. That was probably back in 2006 when I was running a pretty big tune from Eric. Seemed to be better than the current ones that I have, not sure why that is though. Maybe from Ford reflashing the truck a couple times?

Not sure if the 03 would make a difference or not. Dougie fresh has a thing against them and says they don't make a difference. But I know mine decreased lag, gained back a few lbs of boost that was lost when I put the intercooler on and noticed a slight drop in EGTs while cruising.

I have heard that the 03 style wheel gives you more air than the other stockers but I don't know how true that is. And more air means more fuel which means more potential power, right?

All depends. That was probably back in 2006 when I was running a pretty big tune from Eric. Seemed to be better than the current ones that I have, not sure why that is though. Maybe from Ford reflashing the truck a couple times?

Not sure if the 03 would make a difference or not. Dougie fresh has a thing against them and says they don't make a difference. But I know mine decreased lag, gained back a few lbs of boost that was lost when I put the intercooler on and noticed a slight drop in EGTs while cruising.

I have heard that the 03 style wheel gives you more air than the other stockers but I don't know how true that is. And more air means more fuel which means more potential power, right?

Dougie fresh hates on everything that is 2003 because thats when I officially made him my biotch. True story.

Read what you typed. The wheel that is different is the EXHAUST wheel. It has 3 less blades on it. A compressor wheel change would give you more air.

People have been doing mid 420's since the SCT first came out. My first dyno ever back in 04 was 42X. Thos numbers are easily reached....and you don't need the intake elbow to do it either.
Read what you typed. The wheel that is different is the EXHAUST wheel. It has 3 less blades on it. A compressor wheel change would give you more air.

THAT....is a true story.

Read what I typed "but I don't know how true that is." Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that you had to prove your point on someone that doesn't know as much as you?

Like I said before, I'm happy with mine and for the $600 I'd do it over again and nothing you will tell me Doug will change my mind about it. It is better than the stock 05 unit that was on my truck by a large margin.

Like I said before, I'm happy with mine and for the $600 I'd do it over again and nothing you will tell me Doug will change my mind about it. It is better than the stock 05 unit that was on my truck by a large margin.

If you like it then that's all that really matters....but the facts are...the mathematics of it would prove you wrong.
If you can find and look at the compressor maps for both....you'll see no differences.

If you like it then that's all that really matters....but the facts are...the mathematics of it would prove you wrong.
If you can find and look at the compressor maps for both....you'll see no differences.

I believe both you and Doug. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but the truck runs better with the 03 on there than with the 05, that's all I'm saying.

You have to take into account the retro coolness factor is worth atleast 15 HP. It makes perfect sense.

Not to add to the fire, but wasn't that older one 2 or 3 mm larger in diameter?

Bearings were supposed to be smaller though...

Never saw one to see, just what I've read, so please don't shoot... lol...

Bearings in the newer ones are slightly longer according to Doug.
Compressor wheels are all 58mm

Back