Max timing for -30F

madmikeismad

So mad
Anyone with experience in temps down to -30F, whats the highest timing you've seen? I'm at 16 now, but once studded, I'm hoping I can go over 20.

-20F here with 18 degrees of timing, studded. No problems whatsoever.

No experience of -30F.

24* and lowest I've tried starting is 24* and it took me 10mins. That's with no grids and not being plugged in.

24 degrees, no grid heater, not plugged in, ~15* F, takes about 10 seconds of cranking and one or two quick full throttle presses and fires right up looking like a steam engine.

I don't think you're going to get away with that with -30*F however.

24* and lowest I've tried starting is 24* and it took me 10mins. That's with no grids and not being plugged in.

24 valves have less compression than 12 valves.

VP44 pumps have better cold starting characteristics than P7100 pumps in my opinion.

You Tyler, have three things working against you, lower compression (24 valve motor), P7100 pump swap (poorer at cold starting), and BBS (your truck is an odd ball)!

I know. But it's still a ppump and its still a pain in the backside to start cold. LOL

My 95 is at 17* with only one grid heater working....at 0*F you have to cycle the grids 3 times to get it to fire with the DDP3's. I'd hate to see anything colder than that without being plugged in. This is with 375K miles BTW

Chris

I can start mine in 0º weather not plug in with 20º timing, just takes a little time to crank, thats with no grid. Good injectors, battery and starter are key. We get a lot colder, but I havent tried starting it since its not my DD.

Ok, I'm liking this so far. At my current timing, I can start -30 just fine with grids, but not plugged in. And setting it to 24 just so happens to be what I was planning for.

24 valves have less compression than 12 valves.

VP44 pumps have better cold starting characteristics than P7100 pumps in my opinion.

You Tyler, have three things working against you, lower compression (24 valve motor), P7100 pump swap (poorer at cold starting), and BBS (your truck is an odd ball)!

Not quite sure why you think they are better at cold weather starts? 20 degrees, no grid heater, not plugged in, and 20* timing. Mine fired off with a few more cranks then normal. Friends trucks right next to mine with VP44's acted no different.

No chance in hell it'd start at -30 though..

Last edited:
In my short lifetime of starting modded engines a p-pump engine will start easier than a vp44 engine. $.02

Not quite sure why you think they are better at cold weather starts? 20 degrees, no grid heater, not plugged in, and 20* timing. Mine fired off with a few more cranks then normal. Friends trucks right next to mine with VP44's acted no different.

In my short lifetime of starting modded engines a p-pump engine will start easier than a vp44 engine. $.02

My VP truck fires as quick at -5°F as it does at 30°F without being plugged in and only one cycle of the grid. I can't get to the second syllable of "one Mississippi" before it is running. Maybe mine is special? LOL

Back