Max Winter Timing

tornado112

I'm interested to learn what trucks up north run for timing in the winter.Do you guys change it for the summer and winter? I'm going to put the truck in the shop next week before it gets to cold and plane on adding 4k gsk valve springs and an adjustable pump gear and billet cover. I don't have a bunch of work done to the truck just injectors and exhaust. What is a good number for performance and cold weather starting. I'm in New Jersey,I don't have a spot to plug the truck in at night, and I don't tow.

My 95 would start fine with no grids and not being plugged in at ~19* I left it there all year long.

for winter 16* will fire every time (unless you live somewhere like canada LOL)

Personally Ive run 26* all winter before, cycle the grids 4 times and it fires right off, but be sure to have a real strong set of batteries.

I currently have 22* and no grids +5C (41F) or less it's already very hard to start. Last winter I run 18* (no grids) and -10C (14F) or less I had to plug my truck to the block heater.
So I think if you have working grids the 18* is fine.
18* with the block heater and no grids was starting even at -25C (-13F) weather.

Right on thanks gentlemen...In NJ we get cold for a couple of weeks but no where near Utah or Eastern Europe. The truck still has the grid in there, and I do have a brand new set of Interstates so I'm going try 22*... If all I have to do is cycle the grids a couple times and I'll be fine what the hell. I was thinking it was going to be way more of an issue

It's not a 12 valve, but my P-pumped 24 valve was down around 15.3:1 compression and 21.5° timing with a single 1150 CCA battery and it would start at -20°F, any colder and it needed some magic can, with that it would start all the way down to -42°F. More battery and I think it would have done better.

I've ran 18 degrees for the past two winters. I'd cycle the grids twice if it was -20 or colder, never an issue. Otherwise just once.

I ran 25* timing in -30F just cycle grids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Whats all needed to re install a grid heater. Its been so long since I pulled mine and sold it. I want to buy a grid again but not sure what wires are need.

im tired of plugging mine.

thanks

Back