Mechanical lift pump?

I'll have to look at how the pump is made first. My concern is how the hex drive is isolated from the fuel. I won't be changing the oil after every trip to town so i want to make sure it isn't a leak looking for a place to happen. If they do leak i may look at putting a plug into the hole in the cover with a bearing and seal around a hex drive extension. That way i could mount the pump to it and have a drain hole to let any fuel that gets past the seal fall onto the ground instead of inside the timing cover. It would probably run a bit more concentric that way too. I don't know, i've never even seen the pumps first hand. It may be fine the way they come.

I have an Enderle pump here with the same hex drive and this one looks sealed at the hex.

If'n your gonna machine a hub for the gear would you be interested in machining another?

Anyone ever consider trying a medium duty truck steering pump that used the remote mounted resivor?
Obviously may be inconvienent to lose the factory p/s and vacuum pump to this, but may work for some applications.
They have a cartridge style relief valve that I've adjusted down to 150 psi for other applications, a 3/4 hose barb suction and a 1/2"jic/-8 an outlet.
Something around 6gpm, assume at stock rpm and psi, big rpm and low pressure would increase gpm considerably.

Might want to redirect the relief back to the tank instead of dumping itself back into the pump inlet, or leave it alone and use a typical regulator.

I have an Enderle pump here with the same hex drive and this one looks sealed at the hex.

If'n your gonna machine a hub for the gear would you be interested in machining another?

try using a 3 bolt hemi (of the 426 nature), cam pump drive

I use the big aeromotive belt driven pump mounted where the a/c used to be on my drag drug. talk about some freaking flow numbers!!!

Everyone keeps talking about the pumps but what about regulating them?? Pumps are easy to find but figuring out whats the best way to regulate them is a pain.

Everyone keeps talking about the pumps but what about regulating them?? Pumps are easy to find but figuring out whats the best way to regulate them is a pain.

Regulator with return back to tank, the enderle valve after the regulator is my dump valve.

fuel_filter.JPG

BBD

I have studied that pic a hundred times but cant quite make it out, To many hoses and gadgets to tell whats what.

I have studied that pic a hundred times but cant quite make it out, To many hoses and gadgets to tell whats what.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but if you weren't:

The hose on the right of the regulator is the feed from the lift pump, hose on the bottom is the return, and the hose on the left of the regulator is the feed to the injection pump.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but if you weren't:

The hose on the right of the regulator is the feed from the lift pump, hose on the bottom is the return, and the hose on the left of the regulator is the feed to the injection pump.

No, I wasnt being sarcastic, I kinda understand it now, What I dont know is what if anything is regulating the return side of the Injection pump. I ended up buying the parts from Scheid that they say i need.

I Kinda wish i would have stayed with the 2 AirDog IIs that i had feeding the IP, It was way simpler lol

I am using the Schied return valve, its in the forward inboard port of the pump. I can get you a better pic after work today.

BBD

I know this thread is a little old, but i didn't want to start another for no reason...

is there a reason that a mechanical pump isn't streatable? my front cover came setup for a mechanical lift pump, and I'm in need of a lift pump. I was thinking of doing an inline filter and adding a hilborn style lift pump. I know I'd lose the fuel preheating. but, for a pump going for 200, and filter-heads are pretty cheap, seems like that'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than a new electric lift pump. since I'm not already running an electric lift pump, is this a viable option, or am I asking for too many problems?

PS, generally speaking, I'd rather work on a mechanical upgrade than adding an electrical accessory...

Will that DTT setup still require an electric pump until it gets pressure? I know some of them required it but didn't see anything on their site about it.

Will that DTT setup still require an electric pump until it gets pressure? I know some of them required it but didn't see anything on their site about it.

More details DTT? How's low RPM fueling? Does it supply fuel in linear fashion? What can it supply @ ?? RPM, obviously it can be regulated, but what's it capable of?

-Dustin-

More details DTT? How's low RPM fueling? Does it supply fuel in linear fashion? What can it supply @ ?? RPM, obviously it can be regulated, but what's it capable of?

-Dustin-

I still want to know if a mechanical pump is streetable...

Exactly...I'm in the market for a pump, I have fueling issues, but I have a hard time buying a pump that I don't see much info on. Not even a fuel rating based on gallons and/or PSI. Carter 4601HP: 100gph 16psi, DTT = ?? I can't invest in a mystery and get stranded thousands of miles from home.

-Dustin-

I ran a pump from glaicer diesel(fuel boss) for a little on the street no issues. They are fine for the street. I had it on a vp with no electric pump to prime also, If theres no leaks it will start right up.

Back