mechanical lift pump

sstockton

I just installed a Helix 2 cam in my truck and am thinking about running the 12v mechanical lift pump. What kind of pressure do these put out? What kind of flow? and do I need a pressure regulator to run it with my VP or can the pump pressure be adjusted.

I'm assuming that I would need to run a regulator as well.
Thanks for any input.
Sean

I think that you will pressure will vary from 25-35 psi. I dont know about flow I know that you can support up to 600 horse on the 12 valve pump on VP.

The pressure is defendant on the regulator (overflow valve in a stock case). Stock pump will do 50+psi without issues if you needed and didn't use much volume.

I have been told that the 12v pumps are rated at 55GPH but I have no literature to back this up.

With 1/2 in lines my setup made 40 psi at idle and 50 psi at cruise. I used a simflo regulator to bring it down to 18 at idle and 22 at cruise. I was told most guys see around 35 max psi with 3/8 lines.
Did u put a 12v cam in it
The helix 2 has the lobe to run a mechanical pump.

I was just curious because I run a FASS 95/150 now, and wasn't sure if the 12v pump would move as much volume as that or not. I would run it with 1/2" lines, and some kind of regulator. I don't want to rely on my overflow valve to regulate that kind of pressure.
Thanks guys.
Sean

I was just curious because I run a FASS 95/150 now, and wasn't sure if the 12v pump would move as much volume as that or not. I would run it with 1/2" lines, and some kind of regulator. I don't want to rely on my overflow valve to regulate that kind of pressure.
Thanks guys.
Sean

The overflow valve cannot regulate the pressure. With the overflow valev completely removed, I run the same pressures.

As volume, I do not know how many GPH the pump flows. But, if you can never get below 20psi, does it matter?

Also, the FASS and AirDog systems flow numbers are based on zero head. Or free flow. If you set a restriction to make a steady 20 psi, they can in no way flow the claimed numbers.

Again, positive pressure lets us know that we have enough volume.

Dave

Back