Mechanical pump fed by electric for hi-hp 12v?

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Ok guys, so in general, P-pumps that are fueling hard like to see at least 40 psi. This can be done pretty easily by most the electric pumps out there like Fass, Airdog, and Raptor.. (Airdog as well, I know.... Just included it to help people who may search for this topic later).

Currently, I have a 175 pump in my truck. It's generally accepted that these pumps like to see 50 psi or more.. That's getting to a point where the electric pumps out there start to not be happy, get hot, and experience shortened life spans.

So, in the interests of reliability for the High HP Daily Driver, what about using a fuel system for say, a VP44 or CR truck, to feed low pressure fuel into the stock piston pump on a 12v? Use one of torq tek's adjustable overflow valves to get the pressure up there hi (say around 55-65 psi) without working the tar out of the poor electric... Would it work? Or just be a bottleneck with the piston pump?

Lookin for everybody's opinions on this. I know the pusher pump idea has been tossed around, but it's usually in reference to using like a carter or similar.. I'm thinking by using an AD or Fass, you can delete that bulky, hard to reach filter base from the engine, and your piston pump should lead a happier life by having completely filtered fuel being fed to it.......

And here's the last idea, what about a custom billet fuel pump for the stock cam location? Somebody out there should be able to make a large diameter piston pump, that actually pumps on the upstroke instead of relying on the return spring to actually pump the fuel. I'm thinking build something like that with a roller lifter on it. Might have the fass-killer pump right there. :D

If you want to stay on the cheap side you can use a Holley Black fuel pump. Only to supply the factory lift pump. It works really good for what it is. I used one back in the day, before there was a AD or Fass. And I sled pulled with it every weekend.

Ok now that i said that, there are better choices out there like Fass or AirDog. Both are really good. But they are more money. So it's up to you to make that call.

I currently have a FASS 250 GPH pump with a set of homemade filter bases feeding my truck. But, when I tried cranking fuel pressure up to 50-60 psi, it started making TONS of noise, running hot, and popping fuses....

I just don't think there's an electic pump out there that can flow the kind of flow we need, at the high pressures that the early p-pumps like to see.

The belt drive pumps are a good deal too. It's just that the piston job on the block makes for a really clean setup.

I thought tork tech was working on something to take advantage of cams that have added lift on the fuel pump lobe. Stiffer spring possibly making it more efficient. Has to be someway to make them flow more.

That race pumps unit looms pretty awesome. weston told me about it.. I wonder what kind of mods itd take to run it?

Im not sure if even the belt-driven pumps like the mitusa, rasp and assassin can keep up. They all seem to be designed for lower pressure applications like the VP. Folks that have tried changing the pulley ratio claim they cant push that amount of fuel at the pressure needed for the P-pump.
If thats the case, the only mechanical option I can think of is a front cover and a waterman pump or something similar that is driven right off the gear.
Ever considered putting two electric pumps in parallel? That would allow you to use pumps geared for pressure and possibly provide flow also.

I ran the stock lift pump on my 12V and used a Haisley aux fuel system then an A1000 years later, Just ran the aux when I needed it....testing, dyno s ect, I still have yet to have an issue with the setup!

Jim

So u used the A1000 in parallel with the stocker eh? That sounds like a workable option too.

I'm dealing with the same thing. Scheid says Fass has a 260gph pump that runs 60 psi. I want to go to the waterman system but just don't have the funds right now. So this electric would be a option unless somebody with experience says it won't work.

I'm dealing with the same thing. Scheid says Fass has a 260gph pump that runs 60 psi. I want to go to the waterman system but just don't have the funds right now. So this electric would be a option unless somebody with experience says it won't work.

260gph free flow or 260gph at 60psi? If at 60psi that pump is doin work.

Garrett

encrypted with an enigma machine

260gph @ 60psi. At 100 psi it still flows 240gph according to scheids. It's just a pump no filters and is kinda steep but it is more affordable right now than the waterman setup.

I'm almost ready to try that fancy Dan piston pump! I wonder what the length of the pushrod needs to be

It'd be interesting to find out if Race pumps would offer one with shorter rod length for the cummins since it otherwise should bolt up. I think for the price point, they'd sell a lot of em.

It'd be interesting to find out if Race pumps would offer one with shorter rod length for the cummins since it otherwise should bolt up. I think for the price point, they'd sell a lot of em.

If they did I would definitely try one, I've had fuel pressure issues for a while. My gauge says 100psi at idle and it drops as low as 30 under load. Hasn't gone that far for a while though, usually 45-50psi is the norm

You can run across used watermans for a good price...
Sprint Car Race Car Waterman 400 Fuel Pump | eBay

Sprint Car/Race Car Waterman 400 Fuel Pump | eBay

Even a new one isn't as expensive as going electric...
New Waterman Direct Drive .400 Sprint Car Fuel Pump, 25-35% More Volume | eBay

The added expense of lines, fittings, and filters is what gets you. Either way I think I will save up a little extra for the waterman and not have to worry about it anymore. Plus thats a lot more dependability

Back