Mercedes cold start

cumminspuller

diesel junky
I need some help with my car. I've got an 85 300sd Benz. I thought my block heater was getting weak last winter but it still worked well enough to start it in temp. down in the upper teens. I didn't think another think about it after it got warm and as usual I need it to work this time of year and its dead completely now. Its let me down two mornings in a row so I got to do something. I called benz yesterday and found that you can't get the block heater for my call any more from them. I thought about getting one of the electric heaters that you put in the bottom radiator hose of a tractor or truck. I can't seem to find any around here now. Does anyone have any ideas of a heater to replace the block heater in a car like this? I need to get it fixed. Thanks in advance.

Chris

look into mercedes source. they have anything and everythi9ng for those cars. Also when was the last time the glow plugs were done?

I'll look at that. As for the glow plugs I'll have to look through the paperwork and see. I've only put about 25k mi. on the car in a year of owning it.

Def change the glow plugs. You can pull them out and test them just with power and ground.

Run power to the end of the plug and ground to the body. You'll see them light up and get super bright if they are working good.

When i did them in mine it was a night and day difference.

You were right man. Mercedessource does have everything. lol I think I'm gonna look into the heating pad to go on the bottom of the oil pan when I get home. I can't remember if my oil pan is flat or not. If its not too terribly cold tomorrow I may check the glow plugs out. Thanks

Chris

look up temro they should have heaters that tap into the heater core hoses. they operate like a coffee perc. slightly larger than a coke can

Mercedessource is a RIPOFF!
As far as the radiator hose heaters, they burn out in about a year.
Go to peachparts.com its one of the best merc forums and at the top of the page under buy parts there is a couple of great benz parts house.
I also buy from arizona autohaus and diesel giant and rockauto.

You have problems with your glowplugs. Hows your battery?
My 83 300sd will start at any temp. When it hits single digits, I just glow plug cycle twice and then about 1/4 throttle and crank. Fires every time.

I just glow plug cycle twice

There is no point in doing that. The light on the dash has no relation to what the glowplugs are doing. As soon as you turn on the key they will glow for 60 seconds or until the engine is started, whichever happens first.

Mercedessource is a RIPOFF!
As far as the radiator hose heaters, they burn out in about a year.
Go to peachparts.com its one of the best merc forums and at the top of the page under buy parts there is a couple of great benz parts house.
I also buy from arizona autohaus and diesel giant and rockauto.

You have problems with your glowplugs. Hows your battery?
My 83 300sd will start at any temp. When it hits single digits, I just glow plug cycle twice and then about 1/4 throttle and crank. Fires every time.

I put a new battery in it last winter. Checked it already. It checked out good. Mine has always had problem starting if it was in the 30s or 40s and below that just about forget it.

Consider ditching the spare tire and installing two parallel batteries. Or at least upgrade the dinky stock battery cables to 0 gauge.

Attachments

• LMNbat.jpg
    LMNbat.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
Consider ditching the spare tire and installing two parallel batteries. Or at least upgrade the dinky stock battery cables to 0 gauge.

I would look into that if I were going to keep the car. That would be a lot better in my opinion. I think I've decided to sell it. I had to buy me another little truck anyways so the car doesnt get driven anymore really except for some on sundays ever on in a while.

Back