Metal Fab tooling

oldestof11

Drag racer
I am looking to make some purchases here in the next year. What I cannot decide is metal fab tools. Obvious list is hand tools, a drill press or end mill, press (what size???), and welders...

The biggest thing right now is the welder(s).

I want to do light gauge automotive bodywork to heavy material (3/8" probably be the biggest).

Doing some reading on WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin the newer HF ( :stab:) with some modding are just about the same as a comparable Miller/Lincoln/Hobart. Currently, you can pick up the 170 amp for $150 with coupons. Mainly use this for sheet metal and light duty work like exhausts. No, I won't build frames with this.

Then I see I can pick up decent AC/DC stick welders for a couple hundred to do the heavy stuff.

My dad has a oxy/ace setup that he bought and now he has no interest in using it. BNIB without tanks. Says I can have it if I use it. When I had a welding instructor teach me while I was in highschool, he commented on how well my hand/eye coordination was. I had no problems at the time welding 20ga sheets together after a few sessions.

Is there really a MIG setup than can do all of this (minus the oxy setup) for less than $500? Or should I just stick to an old tombstone with the Oxy setup?

Also, what size press should I look at buying? 20, 40, 100 ton???

Not and do it well. You get what you pay for when it comes to welders

The best advice is never skip or look for the cheap chit when buying welders and shop equipment......

Snap on MM140 here. Best money ive spent. Welded my pulling truck together with it and you can get a tig and aluminum spool for it. It will weld sheet metal also

Last edited:
:( $1600 is way out of my price range.

Looking to start small and work up...

i'd buy a miller 252 and be done with it. You'll never need another mig in your lifetime.

We always used the little miller 110v weld with a bottle. Best setup. Then on the bigger stuff we used a little sa200 :hehe:

Craigslist.

X2

Used welders are cheaper. I have an old Airco 300 amp tig welder that I have an old miller spool gun setup on. I have $600 into a machine that I can tig, stick, and wire feed aluminum.

I also have an old Airco 180 amp wire feed I picked up for $300.

X2

Used welders are cheaper. I have an old Airco 300 amp tig welder that I have an old miller spool gun setup on. I have $600 into a machine that I can tig, stick, and wire feed aluminum.

I also have an old Airco 180 amp wire feed I picked up for $300.

hands down you can't beat that.

Get a lincoln that can run solid wire.

Posted while playing HALO 4

1/4" or thinner, Hobart 140... next step up the 187 (220V single ph)

if you are doing personal work, i'd get a harbor freight press (20T minimum), and if you're ballin-so-hard you can get a swag offroad press-brake kit to go in said press.

- a good vice too
- worktables
- BFH(s)
- F-clamps
- Ridgid 'mid-grip' grinder (one-handed work)
- Bigger 4" grinder (like Hitachi)
- Recip Saw

... fwiw my truck was built with a hobart 187, dewalt portaband, and a pair of hitachi 4" grinders.

As everyone has previously stated, craigslist is your best bet. I have built my 'fab shop' from craigslist. You can find 120v(minimum 130 amp) mig welders(lincoln, miller, hobart) with a cart, consumables, and a bottle for about $400-$500. That will do 1/4" and you will be fine. Also, look for older craftsman/husky tool boxes full of tools. You can get some AMAZING deals on CL for that stuff.

Beyond that, press, drill press, bench grinder, hand grinders(im a big fan of my metabo and my dewalt and I beat the hell out of them), all kinds of hammers, band saw(hand held or vertical/horizontal), you definitely need clamps, wide mouth vice grips, welding magnets, welding spoons, a good micrometer, levels, a good battery operated drill set, step drill bits(HF is fine, you can get 3 sets of 3 different sizes for $20, and my last set lasted me about 18 months), etc. And dont forget all the grinding etc consumables. Good grinding discs, good flap discs, good cut off wheels(NOT HF), etc.

I would forego a stick welder if you arent doing anything over 1/4" alot, unless you just want to have one. I would rather spend the money on a 220v mig welder, HH 187 as mentioned, or bigger. As far as the O/A stuff, torches are the MOST VERSATILE system you can get. However, if you go that route, get a good torch(victor, smiths, harris), and make sure you have large tanks. You will be surprised how quickly you go though it. Once again, another craigslist purchase. Also, if you are going to be doing alot of sheet metal, get a meco midget torch or a henrob 2000. Henrob is $$$, but well worth it if you dont have a plasma cutter or a tig welder. Meco torch is AWESOME for <16ga sheet metal.

Also, may want to look into eastwood fab as well. Their new lineup of welders and metal working tools in general are FANTASTIC. I have personally used their 185 amp tig welder and love it.

Outside of buying new, here are the deals I have found on CL in the past 3 years or so.

1. 255 amp miller mig welder, full-full size tank of C25 northern tool vertical/horizontal band saw, Full size Oxy/Acetlyne Tanks with harris torch and 25' of hose, Jepson Dry Cut Chop Saw, Welding consumables, and a 50' 220v extension cord: $1000
2. Cornwell Tools 35 amp Plasma Cutter: $350
3. Husky 80 gallon, two stage compressor, 6 months old: $350
4. Longevity 160 amp stick/tig/plasma cutter+spare torches, 2 foot pedals, and about a year of consumables: $650
5. A box of someones dads old tools consisting of 50' O/A hose, gauges, and a smiths torch, 2 bluepoint pneumatic straight line sanders, 2 bluepoint round sanders, and other various fab parts, air hammer, and an engine stand: $120

Another good place to look is at local yard sales/garage sales/estate sales.

EDIT, as previously stated, dont forget about a good bench. A wooden bench will not work. I have a 3x3x1/2 on wheels and it is WAY too small. I had to built it to fit my garage. You need at least 1/2" and at least 4'x4' if you have the space.

Also, as stated above, good toolboxes are worth their weight in gold. I have 2 tool boxes full of metal fab hand tools, gloves, and consumables, and it is so much better to find what you when you need it and keep it in good condition when not being used.

Last edited:
My problem with Craigslist around here is people want almost the same price for old wore out welders as what new ones cost.

I hear good things about longevity welders/plasma cutters. Plan on picking up a mig and a plasma from them in the coming months.

A 20t press is a must, anything bigger is kinda overkill for the home. Unless you plan doing NV5600's and tractors.
4t or so arbor press is handier than you thing it would be.

Jeeze if you woulda been looking for something a few months early our shop just recently tossed out 3 good bridgeports with DRO's for real cheap. We might be tossing out 2 more soon to make room ill let you know if we do.

As for the welders, i wouldnt skimp on a name brand. even an old good miller or lincoln will out perform any other welder and you can find them cheap on craigslist sometimes.

Back