Misc questions thread

madmikeismad

So mad
I feel bad starting new threads for stupid questions, so maybe this will help.

My first question:

When removing the heat exhanger, I just replaced the 2 coolant lines with 1 piece of hose so as not to interrupt coolant flow.

Is it possible to just plug the 2 holes, or will that build too much pressure or limit coolant flow in any way?

If you can, what size are the plugs?

Why install a single line between the nipple on the head and the return to the radiator. The heat exchanger is just a "by-pass" in the coolant system. I font see how plugging both ends off will hurt anything. I plugged plugged off the ports on the head and the port at the block on my street puller. I don't think it hurt any of the Copland system. I never had an issue with a cracked radiator or pressure pushing fluid out of the overflow tank.

If I remember correctly, the plugs were 3/4" pipe. I just went to Tractor supply and got some iron pipe plugs.

I just run the one off the back of the head to the front of the block. I don't think it's so much pressure as an even flow of coolant through the ex side of the head.

from phone

Why install a single line between the nipple on the head and the return to the radiator. The heat exchanger is just a "by-pass" in the coolant system. I font see how plugging both ends off will hurt anything. I plugged plugged off the ports on the head and the port at the block on my street puller. I don't think it hurt any of the Copland system. I never had an issue with a cracked radiator or pressure pushing fluid out of the overflow tank.

If I remember correctly, the plugs were 3/4" pipe. I just went to Tractor supply and got some iron pipe plugs.

Thats what I needed to know. I've never actually payed attention to that when looking at other peoples motors before. The only thing I was worried about was that cutting off that particular flow might increase flow through the rest of the system.

Thanks for the help. Can anyone verify that they're 3/4 NPT?

Last edited:
Back