mixing parts

Moulder

I have a 05 5.9 with a bad head. I also found a 24 valve vp head cheap local to me. Can this head be used with common rail injectors? I know it can be done the other way around but requires a little grinding of water passages to match up.

Thank you for the input. But I'm still curious if a common rail fuel system will work in a VP head.

Thank you for the input. But I'm still curious if a common rail fuel system will work in a VP head.

yes ,You have to have custom Tubes made so i have been told
Bean Did one Some VP heads (98-99) had no valve seats

yes ,You have to have custom Tubes made so i have been told
Bean Did one Some VP heads (98-99) had no valve seats

That would be correct and somewhat the easiest solution, the common rail heads have a slot at the top of the tube hole to keep them from turning. So without it the stock CR tubes wont fit

But on another note, stock vs. stock, a CR head flows a shade better than the vp's

Why did they start using inserted valve seats? I know I don't know the full story with the wear & cooling characteristics of the smaller valves but I have heard so many issues with seats on CRs.

Late model CR head has considerable flow improvement over VP head, I'd go out of my way to get one.

So would it be a bad idea to use 6.7 tubes and remove the tabs on them? I know the Bosch common rail tubes have a detense ball on them where as the cummins tubes just have a tab and have a larger id as well. With higher pressure would it be a necessity to keep the tube from spinning when torquing the retaining nut?

Back